Staff Data Scientist III AI
Riot Games was founded in 2006 by Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill with the intent to change the way video games are made and supported for players. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Players are the foundation of our community and it’s for them we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience. Riot Games is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA and has 23 offices worldwide.
AI Accelerator is Riot's artificial intelligence and machine learning research team. Our mission is to accelerate the pace of building AI and ML as a core capability at Riot, and tackle AI challenges that push the boundaries for gaming of tomorrow.
As a Data Scientist III on AI Accelerator, you will report to the head of AI research. You will combine your wide technical expertise across AI, ML, data processing, and mathematical modeling to push forward the AI research in gaming. You will partner with Data Science and Engineering teams across Riot to dive into projects that focus on differentiating product impact. You will create reusable frameworks and platform and establish technical standards to empower teams across Riot to solve high-impact and complex technical challenges with the power of AI and ML. The applied and fundamental AI research will range from reinforcement learning in various environments, game theory in competitive and collaborative games, optimization frameworks for distributed deep learning, procedural content generation, and new possibilities for games of tomorrow. You will work across products to influence product vision, technical designs, and other scientists' development across an organization. You will provide other data scientists with a north star of “what extraordinary AI research should look like".
- Research and prototype AI across a wide spectrum of problem spaces for games in various genres.
- Inform and contribute to the development of the distributed AI frameworks and standards at Riot.
- Guide and empower teams across Riot to solve high-impact and complex technical challenges with AI and ML.
- Identify new product opportunities and collaboratively develop them with partners.
- Improve team's technical craft with peer reviews, paper reading, and tech prototyping.
- 2+ years experience in reinforcement learning in various forms
- 3+ years experience in deep learning frameworks (PyTorch, Keras, or Tensorflow)
- 6+ years research or industry experience in AI, ML, or related fields
- 1+ years experience setting up and using cloud infrastructure (e.g., GCP or AWS)
- Experience in stakeholder management
- Advanced degree in AI, ML, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or related field
- 2+ years experience working on games or with a game development team
- Familiarity with traditional game AI
- Ph.D. in AI, ML, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or related field
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive many applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you Dare to Dream and Execute with Excellence.