Data Scientist II
Riot Games was founded in 2006 by Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill with the intent to change the way video games are made and supported for players. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Players are the foundation of our community and it’s for them we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience. Riot Games is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA and has 23 offices worldwide.
WWP Technology is the global technology team in Worldwide Publishing. The team owns global marketing technology and wants to bridge the gap between publishing and player data. It also provides strategic oversight, global prioritization, and collaboration across Riot's central and international publishing teams.
Riot's Data developers build tools to understand and delight our global audience of millions of players using petabytes of data and state-of-the-art data processing technology. As a Data Scientist II on the WWP Technology team, you will design and implement end-to-end data science tools within our MarTech team. You will work with game teams, user acquisition managers, marketing strategists, data engineers, and analysts to connect our player data allowing Riot teams to make more informed marketing decisions. You will report to Senior Manager, Software Engineering.
You will call upon your wide technical expertise across data processing, automation, machine learning ("ML"), artificial intelligence ("AI"), and experimental design to inform decisions and develop data-powered products.
- Design data science systems (Machine Learning, AI, optimization, and statistics)
- Pair with data engineers and analysts to design deployments and pipelines
- Work with game, product, and publishing teams to determine data to be collected from all sources
- Develop and iterate upon statistical models to guide paid acquisition, audience segmentation, bidding optimization, channel marketing measurement
- Analyze measurements such as retention, lifetime value, player acquisition and virtual economy balance
- Determine the data acquisition of A/B tests and analysis of the gathered A/B test data to estimate the effect on metrics and provide recommendations
- Develop models for predicting player behavior
- Identify and report relevant insights to company partners, suggest recommendations and influence the direction of the business
- MS in Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Statistics, or related field
- 3+ years data science industry experience
- 1+ years deploying ML and statistical models into production systems
- Proficiency in Python and SQL
- Experience working with cloud infrastructure (e.g., Google Cloud, AWS) and data ecosystems including BigQuery, Dataflow, Cloudrun, and BigTable
- Experience working with marketing tools such as Google Analytics, Salesforce
- Experience working with digital media and cross-device data from major networks like Facebook and Google Ads
- 1+ years experience working with data engineers
- Hands-on experience with big data technologies such as Spark or Hadoop
- Familiarity with iterative development methodologies like Scrum, Agile, etc.
- Familiarity with git
- Experience working with a product team to provide data solutions
- Familiarity with Java
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise and a collaborative spirit that prioritizes the delight of players. We will look at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you.
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).