Software Engineer III, Data - Legends of Runeterra
As a Staff Software Engineer on the LoR Data team, you will work with engineers, analysts, producers, and game designers. Our work ranges from building traditional data pipelines, to running large-scale distributed systems, to designing and operating novel machine learning and artificial intelligence capabilities. You will build reliable data solutions, use your experience with large-scale data systems, and work with engineers from around the game. You will report directly to the Data Lead for Legends of Runeterra.
- Lead the design and implementation of new data products, services, and pipelines that impact multiple aspects of game development or operations
- Handle complex, diverse, and ambiguous problems by Integrating and improving data capabilities in the game client, game server, and backend services
- Identify and resolve systemic issues across the product and team
- Apply software engineering best practices to the data space to improve the long term sustainability and reliability of our data products
- Teach, support, and guide other engineers to raise the technical bar and establish lasting mentorship relationships
- Participate in interviewing and act as an essential member for hiring decisions
- 6+ years of relevant work experience related to the role
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in Computer Science/related field or equivalent work experience.
- Experience as a technical leader with the ability to set technical vision
- Experience building and maintaining software across multiple languages (e.g., C#, Java, Python)
- Experience building and operating distributed systems, microservices, and data pipelines at high scale
- Experience with SQL, relational databases, and key-value store / NoSQL-style systems
- Experience mentoring and leading others
- Experience with related data processing (e.g., Spark, BigQuery, DataProc) and storage systems (e.g., S3, Google Cloud Storage)
- Experience with related data pipelining tools (e.g., Airflow, Luigi)
- Familiarity with queuing and pub/sub systems (e.g., Kafka, PubSub)
- Experience deploying cloud infrastructure (e.g., AWS, GCP) using containers and orchestration (e.g., Docker, Kubernetes), managed using infrastructure as code (e.g., Terraform, Ansible)
- Experience collaborating with data scientists to develop, deploy, and operate machine learning and artificial intelligence systems at scale (e.g., TensorFlow, Keras, MLFlow, Seldon)
- Experience operating and prioritizing work around live software and games as a service
- A love for competitive card games, digital or print
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).