Staff Software Engineer (Tooling) - Teamfight Tactics
Job Id: REQ-0001125
Riot Engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the chance to work in many of broader domains. As a Staff Software Engineer, you’ll also dive into projects that focus on team cohesiveness and cross-team objectives. You’ll lead without authority and provide other engineers with a clear illustration of extraordinary engineering.
As a Staff Software Engineer on the Teamfight Tactics Team, you will lead the technical vision for the core suite of tools used in the content development of Teamfight Tactics. This requires collaboration with technology and content pipeline owners across game initiatives (gameplay mechanics, champion development, etc) to make sure we have a thoughtful set of tools that content creators can use. For this role, you'll report to the team's Engineering Manager. Our tools are written in C++ that make heavy use of the QT ecosystem for UI/UX and we also use Python for multiple utility needs.
- Coordination and collaboration with multidisciplinary teams to ensure features delivered exceed expectations from multiple dimensions (code quality, extensibility, modularity, scalability, security, operational concerns, and industry standards/trends)
- Setting the tone for, contributing to, and defining technical discussions/designs that your team is responsible for
- Maintain a strong sense of code ownership that includes [develop/test/deploy/maintain]ing frameworks, platforms, and tools
- Mentorship. You help Rioters develop the tools and creative atmosphere to shine, but ultimately hold them accountable for making smart calls and delivering player value
- Participate in the team's support rotation
- 6+ years of deep hands-on experiences with compiled programming languages (C/C++, Java, Go, or C#)
- Deep experience with C/C++ that spans various use-cases and platforms.
- Have been responsible for driving the design and leading of development of large-sized efforts (6-month scope), including requirements gathering, planning, testing, and release or deployment
- Championed software development best practices within your organization that includes design/code reviews, coding standards, source control management, testing, delivery performance, scalability, and maintainability
- You have a history of mentoring others in both soft and hard skills
- 2+ years of experience in the video game industry that includes working within multiple game development pipelines (animation, VFX, environment, etc) and a portfolio of successfully delivered games
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).