UX Lead, VALORANT
Established in 2020, the Singapore Studio is Riot’s second international game development studio. Working together with our Hong Kong Studio, Riot has been expanding our footprint in Asia and accelerating our talent growth to develop games that deliver great experiences to our players. Our mission is to “scale Riot’s games to hyper-serve players.”
We partner with our LA headquarters on game development for League of Legends, Teamfight Tactics, and Legends of Runeterra. We’re also building teams for VALORANT and Project L, our take on a fighting game. The Singapore Studio is seeking talented, passionate Rioters with backgrounds in all areas of game development to build games that make it better to be a player.
We’re focused on working together to promote individual autonomy, ownership, collaboration, and inclusivity, so every Rioter can be their best while we boldly pursue games.
That's where you come in.
UX Designers at Riot will create outstanding experiences for our players. We work in problem spaces that are complex and ambiguous -- and product areas that generally encompass multiple features and span across teams. We work from concept through the product development lifecycle and collaborate with other disciplines to create cohesive experiences.
VALORANT is Riot's take on a character-based tactical shooter (for more info on VALORANT click here!). As a Senior User Experience Designer, you'll help set the experiential design and direction, and create design work and high-level concept development. You will be trusted to develop experiences for all aspects of our game. You will work with other disciplines to produce engaging, intuitive, and appropriate designs -- ranging from in-game to around-the-game systems.
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise and a collaborative spirit that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past work products, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
- Set the UX goals by partnering with Product leadership
- Understand our audiences and create design work that exceeds their expectations and needs
- Create data-informed presentations, wireframes, and prototypes at the right level of fidelity to communicate design intent to our team and stakeholders
- Provide teams with the right artifacts at the right time (e.g., Strategy articulation, discovery/ user research results, journey maps, wireframes, flow mockups and prototypes) to meet product goals and to guide understanding
- Be prepared to help implement prototypes (with engineering support) to brainstorm concepts and validate with players
- Lead UX design efforts across multiple workstreams, focusing on the interaction design and player flows for these areas
- Break down experiences thoughtfully for teams to be able to ship value incrementally (i.e., Minimum delightful experiences)
- Collaborate across teams and channels to design large-scale products for players
- Work with the Design discipline across multiple studios to establish best-practices and quality standards, and champion user-centered design methodologies
- 5+ years of experience (depending on degree) designing digital product experiences, games as a service/ live services, and platforms as a User Experience Designer
- Familiarity with design with Game Engines
- Experience with industry standard digital design and prototyping tools (e.g., Figma, Adobe XD, Invision, Axure, or Framer.)
- Experience designing products, interfaces, and interactions for web and mobile.
- A professional portfolio with examples of your past work.
- BA/ BS degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Computer Science, Interaction Design, Communication Design, Graphic Design, Psychology, or equivalent
- 2+ year of Game Engine development and front-end markup skills are a bonus
- A minimum of a BA/BS degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Interaction/ Interface Design, Communication Design, Graphic Design, or equivalent experience
- Experience with prototyping in Unreal
- Expertise designing across responsive on multiple devices and form factors.
- Expertise designing for iOS and Android device UI guidelines are a big plus
- Excellent understanding of modern design, interaction patterns, and frontend technology capabilities.
- Broad or secondary UX skills outside your core specialty: interaction design, content strategy, user research, information architecture, prototyping, visual design, UI animation etc.
- Full relocation support
- Full health insurance for you, your spouse and children
- Open paid time off
- Retirement benefits with company matching
- Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability
- Play Fund so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games
- We will double down on your donations of time and money to non-profits
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.
As a part of the application process, candidates are expected to provide a portfolio of their work and may be asked to complete a design test.