Manager, Software Engineering - League of Legends, Game Flow Services
Job Id: REQ-0001360
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the chance to work in many broader domains. As an Engineering Manager, you'll predominantly offer creative solutions to organizational design. You'll also serve as a mentor for a team of engineers, overseeing performance management, growth opportunities, and accountability.
As an Engineering Manager on the Game Flow Services team you will report into a Senior Engineering Manager on League of Legends' Sustainability Initiative. Your team builds scalable and resilient core-game services for one of the largest games in the world without introducing technical debt. These services power the core game loop, allowing players to join lobbies with friends, match against other players, and get into the game. In addition to implementing new service features, you will also be focused on building systems and tools to make the services easier to operate. This includes databases, queues, micro-services, caches, telemetry systems, and reporting tools.
- Build great teams and maintain team health
- Performance management, hiring, and career development for the team members
- Manage the team's approach to on-call
- Improve the scalability and reliability of our products
- Partner with the product management team and help shape the team's vision and processes
- Oversee the technical design and deliverables of the team
- Create visibility, clarity and understanding inside and outside the team
- 2+ years of experience as an Engineering Manager/Director of Engineering
- Experience in project management and investment strategies in people and systems
- Knowledge in distributed computing, web-services, micro-services architecture, API design, scalable system architecture
- Experience presenting and sharing information across a wide array of technical expertise and seniority
- Experience operating and supporting production services, understanding of on-call processes
- Experience leading teams that specifically ship public-facing software
- Deep knowledge of cloud architecture across Amazon Web Services (preferred), Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud Platform
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).