Staff Software Engineer, Gameplay - Unpublished R&D Product
Job Id: REQ-0001612
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work in a variety of broader domains. As a Staff Software Engineer, you’ll also dive into projects that focus on team cohesiveness and cross-team objectives. You’ll drive gameplay features and provide other engineers with a clear illustration of extraordinary engineering.
As a Staff Software Engineer on the R&D team, you will work to craft gameplay systems and features including combat, movement, progression systems, and other related features. You will work in a small team alongside a product lead, designers, artists, and other engineers to answer fundamental product questions and build experiences that will fulfill our players’ imaginative dreams. The ideal candidate is passionate, driven, and wants to guide the technical vision of this area of the game. You will report to the Engineering Manager of the project.
- Identify, prioritize, and implement game systems and engine features in a new title
- Collaborate with product and discipline leads to identify focus areas, handoff points, and provide the best solution for the development phase
- Lead and contribute to architecture requirements, technical design, and implementation for relevant systems
- Help shape the technical direction and standards for the team
- As development advances into full production, iterate on robust, scalable, and performant solutions.
- Mentor other engineers on the team in all aspects of game development
- 6+ years of gameplay development experience
- 2+ years of Unreal Engine experience or 1 shipped title in UE4
- BS in Computer Science, or proven understanding of Computer Science fundamentals
- Strong knowledge of common game and software design patterns
- Excellent debugging skills
- Experience collaborating with teammates across multiple disciplines
- Product sense, pragmatism, and player empathy in making tech decisions
- Experience working with both small and mid-sized engineering teams
- Experience with visual scripting systems
- Experience with the prototyping and pre-production phases of game development
- Experience with agile development
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).