Associate Art Director - Creative Department, IP Guidelines
Job Id: REQ-0001673
Associate Art Directors at Riot oversee the quality and management of a team with a focus on Mission, Direction, and Cohesion. Your scope of responsibilities covers an entire initiative. These responsibilities include overall culture, performance, and growth of your direct reports.
As an Associate Art Director, you will report to the head of the Creative Department. You will oversee the creative content and art direction for Riot's official IP style guides - a library of documents for our teams and external partners - to help ensure a diverse, cohesive universe across a broad spectrum of future creative endeavors. You will work with world building representatives to supplement existing material, align with IP creative leadership to understand problem spaces, and direct vendors in asset creation. You will manage the presentation and cohesive application of design and information across all final style guides which will be foundational to all Creative teams and projects at Riot, present and future.
- Develop initial creative briefs, agree on core visual truths, and identify gaps or alterations desired to "future proof" solutions
- Translate past design choices into flexible, logical, and authentic versions that better align with IP goals and serve future customers
- Provide feedback (written, reference, or direct paintover) to ensure work hits narrative, aesthetic, and product targets
- Establish, clarify, and advocate for diversity in all characters and content
- Work with world building, product, and creative leadership across the studio to review existing content for inclusion and identify gaps to be filled by custom assets
- Provide expert feedback on the development pipeline and advocate for best practices in distribution and usage
- Approve all final guideline packages
- At least 8 years as a professional artist, art development or equivalent experience
- At least 5 years of art quality control and/or art team management experience
- In-depth knowledge of the League of Legends IP
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with the Adobe Creative Suite
- A working knowledge of anatomy, dynamic posing, and human expression
- Concept and illustration skills
- Experience developing style guides and creative documentation
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and choices that focus on your fellow Rioters, who are the customers of your work. Being a dedicated fan of games is not necessary for this position!
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).