Senior Technical Artist (Rigging) - Unpublished R&D Product
Job Id: REQ-0001681
As part of the Technical Art, Rigging team, you will create rigs for characters and props. You will oversee tool creation and maintenance for all other art disciplines. Working closely with animation, modeling, and concept teams, you will uncover new ways to improve workflow and ensure functionality, consistency, and quality. As a support, you will be the carry behind the carry, helping hoist up art teams on the strength of your rigs and tools.
As a Senior Technical Artist, Rigging for the Research and Development team, you will report to the Art Lead and work on an unreleased R&D project. You will rig character assets, set them up in the Unreal Engine, and work closely with developers of all disciplines to bring these characters to life. Your work in the engine will include setting up character assets, setting up character dynamics, and creating runtime rigging solutions. You will support animators, modelers, and artists on the team as they create assets, developing scripts to help improve their workflows and remove technical barriers and inefficiencies.
- Rig characters, creatures, and props, working closely with animators to achieve engaging in-game performance.
- Set-up character assets in the engine (meshes, animation blueprints, dynamics)
- Provide technical support to art and animation in both Maya and Unreal Engine 4
- Consistently give and take constructive feedback, direct next steps, and communicate clear goals and outcomes to your team
- Prototype new art assets and build asset generation pipelines and tools
- 5+ years of professional experience as a technical artist in games or related industries
- Expertise in game development using modern game engines such as Unreal or Unity
- Expertise in content creation tools, particularly Maya
- Highly proficient communication skills and capacity to act as an ambassador between art and engineering
- Experience with Python scripting and Maya tools development
When submitting your application, please provide a portfolio of your high-quality technical art work - including stylized artwork. And as a part of the application process, you may also be asked to complete an art test.
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).