Manager, Animation Art - VALORANT
Job Id: REQ-0001875
VALORANT is Riot’s take on a character-based tactical shooter (for more info on VALORANT click here!). As an Animation Art Lead on the VALORANT team, you will work closely with the VALORANT Character Art Director to help create iconic agents and exciting character abilities.
As the Manager, Animation Art on VALORANT you will manage the animation team, communicate goals, and guide your team to deliver high quality results. You will mentor, motivate, and develop the team in terms of their work and career progression. Your craft expertise and high-level execution will enrich the player’s experience and continue to build on the established style and character personalities in VALORANT.
- Partner with other art leads on the team to develop a cohesive vision for each new Agent and their abilities.
- Collaborate with the Character team leads to ensure that each new Agent integrates with the existing cast of Agents through personality, visual aesthetics and gameplay.
- Establish and clearly communicate short and long term goals.
- Anticipate and recognize potential conflicts or production issues and recommend appropriate solutions.
- Be a career mentor and coach for the animators on your team.
- Guide your team in developing healthy practices for giving and receiving feedback.
- Work with publishing and merchandise departments to ensure alignment and support for non-game deliverables and products.
- Work with recruiting and art leadership to establish and support the growth, staffing, and resource allocation of the animation art discipline over time.
- 5+ years of professional experience as an animator in games or related industries.
- 1+ year of people management of artists
- Strong understanding of animation principles - appeal, timing, spacing, weight, etc.
- Experience with Maya and a strong understanding of AAA character creation pipelines.
- Highly proficient communication skills and capacity to act as an ambassador between Design, Concept, 3D, Tech Art, Production, Audio and VFX.
- Experience giving thorough direction and delivering timely, clear feedback.
- Experience developing in Unreal
- Experience with the technical requirements for a variety of game platforms
- Experience with Cinematic development and pipelines
- Familiar with VALORANT – It’s gameplay, art, and animation style.
- Passion for the tactical FPS genre.
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).