Staff Software Engineer (Tech Lead) - Wild Rift, In Game
Job Id: REQ-0001952
Riot Software Engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the chance to work on multiple broader domains. As a Staff Software Engineer, you'll work with a diverse team to provide engineering perspective and solve complex technical challenges in order to provide player value in a sustainable way.
As the Staff Software Engineer and Technical Lead for League of Legends: Wild Rift's In-Game team (for more info on Wild Rift click here!), you will report to the team's Engineering Manager. You will manage the technical direction of content development toolchains and core gameplay. This is a global product, and you will lead efforts both here in LA and with our development partners around the globe. You will review and provide feedback on technical designs and features being developed. You will help the team balance trade-offs between extensibility, robustness, quality, scope, and development efficiency. At Riot, our tech leads are often called on to help with the last mile for a project by being hands-on writing code.
- Partner with other disciplines to inform understand product goals
- Lead and contribute to technical direction, design, standards, and implementation
- Help define the team's process for delivering high-quality experiences to players
- Have a deep hands-on understanding of, and be accountable for, the quality and maintainability of your team's code-base
- Drive collaboration and alignment with multiple internal and globally dispersed teams
- Support live operations teams in triaging live issues
- Post COVID, there may be some amount of travel required (~1 week every half year)
- 8+ years of experience in Software Engineering, with broad theoretical knowledge and practical application of Software and SRE principles
- Experience as a Technical Leader with the ability to set technical vision
- Experience implementing gameplay systems in C++ or C#
- Experience building content pipelines and toolchains for game designers
- Experience working on a SaaS game and the journey from production to ship
- Experience with Unity and mobile device games
- Experience shipping cross platform console games (XBox, PS, Switch)
- Mandarin language fluency would be great
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).