Technical Artist II, Tools & Pipeline - League, Summoner's Rift
Job Id: REQ-0002250
The mission of Technical Art at Riot is to establish and improve the systems, tools, rigs, assets, and workflows that unleash the creativity of our artists and allow the production of the best possible art content for our players.
As a Tools & Pipeline Technical Artist on the Summoner’s Rift team, you will report into and work with the Gameplay Initiative Tech Art Lead to define and build the tools and tech that get our art assets into the game. This will involve building pipelines and workflows for DCC (Digital Content Creation) software, collaborating with engineering in the design of our in-house tools, and consulting with art to discover the best possible solutions to the challenges we face. On the Summoner’s Rift Team, you will develop workflow improvements that support artists and designers working on New Player Experience and Pre-Season projects for League of Legends. You will be responsible for memory budget and performance of our products and leveraging pipeline knowledge to level up the team with game development best practices.
- Level up the end-to-end workflow for our artists and designers on Summoner’s Rift team
- Learn and provide technical support to artists and designers working in our development pipeline, and collect data to further improve the tools they are using
- Prototype new art assets and build asset generation pipelines and tools
- Collaborate with production to develop a long-term strategy to maintain and evolve the art workflows for your product
- Build close relationships with the artists and engineers you work alongside with to understand their needs and provide leadership on tool and pipeline development
- 3+ years experience as a technical artist in games or related industries
- Expertise in game development using modern game engines such as Unreal, Unity or proprietary engines
- Expertise in content creation and tool development in DCC tools, particularly Maya and Photoshop
- Expertise in UI/UX design and front end development (PyQt/PySide skills are a plus)
- Proficient Python programmer
- Highly proficient communication skills with the capacity to act as an ambassador between Art and Engineering, and collaborate with Designers, QA and Production
- Critical thinking skills, particularly as it pertains to translating artistic requirements to sustainable workflow design
- Experience playing League of Legends
- Experience working with or developing for Materials and Shader systems
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).