Tech Project Manager (Contractor) (Shenzhen-based)
Job Id: 4471
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played video game in the world, over 100 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That's where you come in.
As Tech Project Manager in Tencent Technology Collaboration Group, you’ll be embedded in Riot Central Tech teams to bring value to the CN players. This includes working with central dev teams to understand the technology/architecture for all services and features we plan to release; You’ll optimize and guide the delivering process with our partner Tencent to ensure smooth landing of features in China; You’ll also promote and facilitate any technical discussion between Riot teams and Tencent Teams to achieve mutual understanding.
Tencent Technology Collaboration Group (TTCG) is majorly responsible in two goals:
- We’re working with Riot Central Tech teams to ship platform/service features to China. It requires us to understand all the tech details of the system and work very closely with our partner Tencent to land the products within schedule.
- We bridge technical communication between Tencent and Riot teams to enhance technology collaboration.
- Align highly autonomous Riot and Tencent teams towards a shared vision and roadmap
- Manage and track development schedules, while mitigating risks and managing ·tradeoffs
- Implement agile work systems to ensure successful and sustainable product delivery
- Create transparency and predictability with roadmaps, planning, and stakeholder management
- Drive consensus on technical decisions, and ensure teams are staffed for high-quality results
- Improve the scalability and repeatability of Riot’s delivery pipeline to Tencent
- Business fluency in Chinese and English, and can drive effective collaboration across language and culture
- 3+ years experience managing technical projects, through the full software lifecycle
- Bachelors in CS, Math or a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- Broad technical understanding of common operational and development challenges
- Clear communication and stakeholder management skills
- Strong technical acumen and problem-solving skills
- 10% travel to Riot & Tencent offices in Shanghai and LAX
- Experience shipping games to China and/or collaborating with Tencent
- Experience working with distributed teams + facilitating effective virtual meetings
- Excellent knowledge of Agile work systems (Kanban, Scrum, …)
- Manage project/task prioritization, and development schedules
- Experience with Linux system, Network, services, virtualization, database solutions.
- Understand microservice architecture, continuous integration & deployment flow.
- Scripting and automation with movement towards a DevOps capability.
- Have the hands-on experience to navigate around constraints while finding balanced tech solutions.
- Background in backend services, operations, or infrastructure preferably in the space of high-reliability systems.
As a Rioter in China, you'll join a team of internationally and culturally diverse professionals that share our prioritization of player experience, rejection of convention and maniacal passion for gaming.
To reinforce Riot’s collaborative culture in our China offices, we’ve decided to do away with the constraints of traditional hierarchical title structures that are more common in the region. Titles don’t really matter at any of Riot’s offices, but we chose to take this extra step in our China offices to foster a space where teamwork thrives. We believe that removing this constraint will promote individual autonomy, ownership, collaboration, and a focus on results. We promise you won’t need a title at Riot to make an impact.
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.