Staff Software Engineer - Player Platform, Central Player Dynamics
Job Id: REQ-0001155
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work in a variety of broader domains. As Software Engineers, we work with both new and current technology, creating creative solutions to overcome high-volume obstacles and to deliver player value.
As a Staff Software Engineer on the Central Player Dynamics (CPD) team, you will guide and set our technical investments to encourage players to behave in a positive manner and then detect and act on the situations where they do not. You will help ensure that Riot can meet the scalability and reliability requirements to support all of our games worldwide.
The Central Player Dynamics team builds the platform that Riot’s games use to provide a safe and fun interactive gaming experience. Our technology provides reputation services, detection and penalty determination, text and voice moderation, and access and control management. You will report to the Engineering Manager of the Central Player Dynamics initiative within Player Platform.
- Be a partner to the initiative product lead in discussions around prioritization, product direction, and technical needs
- Partner with all teams in the initiative to synthesize and resolve technical issues
- Create and operate microservices that enable Player Dynamics features in Riot’s games
- Work with a team of experts to design, prototype, and build these features
- Ensure the team is observing engineering excellence
- Be on rotational on-call for live product support and operational assessment
- Provide meaningful code reviews and mentor other members on the team
- Bachelor's in Computer Science or a related field or relevant professional experience
- 6+ years of deep hands-on programming experiences in Java
- Experience as a team lead, implementing software engineering best practices
- Experience developing large systems from scratch
- Experience with distributed systems and maintaining web services
- Prior experience with Voice Transcription or Moderation would be a plus
- Understand networking - HTTP down to the network layer (TCP/IP, routing, etc)
- Experience with related data processing (Spark, Flink), Kafka, and storage systems (S3, ElasticSearch, Dynamo, MySQL, Postgres)
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).