Manager, Software Engineering, Gameplay - Unpublished Fighting Game
Job Id: REQ-0002796
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the chance to work in many broader domains. As an Engineering Manager, you’ll predominantly offer creative solutions to organizational design. You’ll also serve as a mentor for a team of engineers, overseeing performance management, growth opportunities, and accountability.
Project L is Riot's League-IP take on a competitive fighting game. As a Manager, Software Engineering within Project L focused on gameplay, you will oversee a small team of engineers on an early stage product. You will be accountable for all technical decisions and help shape gameplay systems. In addition to leading the team, you will be hands-on in implementation. You will report to the Engineering Director of the project.
- Manage a group of 4-7 software engineers, coaching them, holding them accountable to best practices and their growth plan
- Partner with discipline and product leadership to develop strategies for improving team health and effectiveness
- Be accountable for the technical health of product and taking an active part in its implementation
- Build healthy relationships with other engineering teams at Riot to foster cross-team collaboration
- Mentor engineers in best practices for the current product phase
- Champion your sourcing and hiring processes to identify and hire engineers
- 5+ years professional experience as a software engineer working in a game development team
- 2+ year(s) as a tech lead guiding gameplay direction and implementation
- 1+ years as an Engineering Manager leading a team of 3+ engineers
- Experience recruiting candidates and growing an engineering team
- Excellent knowledge of common game and software design patterns
- Experience participating in technical discussions such as technical design reviews and code reviews
- Strong ability to collaborate with teammates across multiple disciplines
- Product sense and player empathy in making tech decisions
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4
- Affinity for the fighting game genre
- Deep knowledge of modern C++ and/or Go
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).