Manager, Software Engineering - Riot Data Products, Live Riot Developed Games
Job Id: REQ-0002850
As an Engineering Manager on the Live Riot Games Data team you will lead and collaborate with a multidisciplinary team including Software Engineers, Data Engineers, and Data Scientists to help games maximize the value of their data for players. You will be responsible for staffing strategy and hiring across disciplines and games, ensuring craft growth for your direct employees, and maintaining a healthy team environment.
The Live Riot Games Data team currently supports VALORANT and Legends of Runeterra, and the team will grow to support other Riot titles as they’re launched. Our work includes implementing game telemetry, building traditional data pipelines, running large-scale distributed systems, and developing data powered products backed by novel machine learning and artificial intelligence capabilities.
You will report to the Senior Manager for Live Riot Games Data.
- Create, review, and advocate for a technical vision with the team and key stakeholders.
- Assign personnel and allocate resources to enable successful execution of technical strategy.
- Operate with a strong results orientation emphasizing the importance of efficiency and productivity and prioritizing the highest-value work on the team.
- Identify, recruit, interview, and hire data developers to help teams scale effectively.
- Help developers identify growth opportunities and find or provide mentorship for them.
- Manage team health and performance with empathy and authenticity, building trust and cultivating resilience.
- Seek different perspectives to solve problems, encouraging engineers and others to contribute ideas. Base your decisions on sound analysis and avoid biases.
- Provide technical expertise throughout the product life cycle including design, implementation, and delivery of features while continuously improving the software engineering quality and efficiency.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related technical field or equivalent practical experience
- Experience as a Senior Software Engineer, Data Scientist, or Data Engineer
- 2+ years experience directly leading an engineering team either as an Engineering Manager or Technical Lead & mentor.
- Strong understanding and experience building reliable, scalable, and maintainable software systems.
- Experience developing and deploying Machine Learning solutions at scale.
- Experience collaborating across departments to create solutions.
- Experience with relational databases (MySQL, Postgres), key-value stores (MongoDB, Cassandra), and distributed storage systems (HDFS, S3, Google Cloud Storage)
- Experience with data pipelining tools (Airflow, Luigi)
- Experience using containers (Docker, Kubernetes) and infrastructure as code (Terraform, Ansible)
- Familiarity with queuing and pub/sub systems (Kafka, PubSub)
- Familiarity with modern deep learning frameworks ( tensorflow/keras, pytorch, mxnet)
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).