Head of Development Studios - Central Game Studios
Job Id: REQ-0003082
As the Head of Development Studios, you drive Riot’s organization that is the home for development teams that support our core products. This group’s mandate includes content development, feature development and platform extensions of our games. You’ll lead the growth of our development capacity, including managing our existing development support studios, evaluating and recommending locations for new Riot development studios and the integration of new partners, joint ventures and acquisitions in the space. You’ll also lead the development of a central development capability that attract, retain and grow talent to support Riot game and platform teams. You'll have a particular focus on ensuring Riot’s resources are aligned to our strategies and priorities and enable annual plans and periodic reviews to ensure our capabilities are optimized, processes are in place and resources are allocated most effectively.
You are able to stretch from high-level thinking to detail-oriented problem solving, enjoy creating new ways to do things better without adding bureaucracy, possess strong business acumen, and you're able to tap into the pulse of an entire organization. In addition, you will work cross-functionally with a multitude of stakeholders in and outside of the Games Pillar, including Finance, World Wide Publishing, E-Sports, Entertainment and regional operations.
You’ll be working with talented studio heads and executive producers who are accomplished creative and team leaders with track records of success. Your mission will be to empower them to do their best work, clear away obstacles, solve problems, and facilitate collaboration
- Oversee all of Riot’s global development locations, managing directly each office leader and ensuring local goals are established and delivered
- Manage stakeholder relationships (e.g. EPs), establishing key milestones, priorities and resource allocation
- Shepherd large projects through our internal greenlight process and then the company approval process for major deals.
- Establish and maintain resource needs by product and develop solutions to meet their development needs
- Build the talent capacity to support ongoing and new development needs (e.g. scale) ranging from:
- New development office build out
- Acquisition and co-development
- Vendor and outsourcing relationships
- Ensure the studios/talent are operating as effectively and efficiently as possible through developing and managing productivity metrics, talent health, and quality metrics.
- Create and manage the intelligence layer that allows Riot to have an elastic, effective workforce ranging from early stage career hiring to opportunistic roles.
- Develop strategic studio plan accounting for financial opportunities; present assumptions and recommend objectives
- Responsible for all financial operations including budgets; forecasts projections for the Games Pillar elastic workforce.
- Collaborate with Finance and Business Operations to prepare and submit budget and headcount plans as part of the company’s annual planning process.
- Drive understanding of the priorities and strategy across the Games Pillar and effective execution across teams, and support team culture and development.
- Collaborate with Workplace Experience Team on building and lease requirements
- Be a servant leader for your team of development leaders helping them to do their best work by empowering them to succeed, clearing obstacles and solving problems, and facilitating collaboration with cross-functional teams including Marketing, Communications, Legal, Partnerships, Finance, HR, Platform, Data Science, Policy, Privacy, and others.
- 15+ years of experience managing game development projects at scale.
- A track record of delivering high quality, triple-A products.
- Proven experience as the P&L owner for a business unit that has operated at scale.
- Demonstrated experience managing the game development process at scale - multiple game studios or large teams.
- A solid understanding of the entertainment software development life cycle, tools, and processes from pre-production through to launch and into live services.
- Experience managing global external partnerships.
- Demonstrated expertise in overseeing live operations for game services with long arcs (measured in years), including a steady flow of new content that drives key metrics like engagement, retention, and monetization.
- Proven experience working with intellectual property and brands, as well as collaborating with the partners that own these brands.
- Experience working collaboratively with cross-functional teams in a larger company setting, like Marketing, Communications, Data Science, Legal, Partnerships/BD, etc.
- Experience managing senior leaders like Studio Heads and Executive Producers who are accomplished in their own right. Experience in getting the very best out of talented leaders who carry the creative vision for their products and teams.
- Demonstrated experience defining and driving product and portfolio strategy and strategic execution.
- Proven experience working with independent developers, licensors, and other partners.
- Experience in managing these collaborations with finesse, inflecting product progress through influence and leveraging relationship equity to get the best outcome for all parties.
- Demonstrated ability to lead through influence internally and externally.
- High tolerance for ambiguity and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with an entrepreneurial approach
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.