Senior Software Engineer - League of Legends, R&D
Job Id: REQ-0003745
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work in a variety of broader domains. As a Senior Software Engineer, you’ll work with both new and existing technologies, creating innovative solutions to overcome high-volume obstacles and to deliver player value. The R&D Team within League of Legends is exploring an alternate way for players to engage with the League IP with completely new gameplay mechanics.
As a Senior Software Engineer on the League R&D Team, you will work on a multi-disciplinary team with artists, designers and product managers to create and support the many facets of play. Also you will help develop technologies encompassing the entire League technology stack, touching metagame systems and beyond. You will report into the Team Engineering Manager who will support you by providing connection, alignment, and mentoring to achieve player, Riot, and personal growth goals.
- Collaborate with cross-disciplinary teams (including Game Designers, Artists, Animators, and Producers) to shape player experiences
- Give feedback to designers and artists on the technical tradeoffs of their designs and ideas
- Collaborates with team technical leadership on design, and works independently on implementation
- Design and build gameplay features in the League of Legends game engine using C++, content tools and game scripting
- Design and build game content tooling to support cross-disciplinary teams (including Game Designers, Artists, Animators, and Producers)
- Design and build supporting game client code that drives the core player experience
- Make design and implementation decisions impacting the technical direction of a project
- Provide meaningful code reviews for other members of the team
- Deliver exciting and delightful game experiences on a bi-weekly cadence
- Build projects implementing large complex system changes and gameplay features
- 3-5 yrs collective professional experience using C++
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or comparable field or equivalent experience
- Experience working with non-engineering collaborators to deliver value
- Experience with game development
- Experience with Lean or Agile development processes (i.e. - Scrum, Kanban)
- Familiarity with building game content tools and pipelines
- Familiarity with Lua, Go, Java
- Familiarity with unit and integration testing of software
- Experience mentoring fellow developers
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).