Technical Game Designer II - League, Champions
Job Id: REQ-0004119
As Technical Game Designers at Riot, we contribute to excellent teams in delivering great products to players. We focus on significant problem spaces and essential features to make improvements to our products. Furthermore, we aim to deeply understand the players we serve as we create features.
On the League of Legends Champions Team, you will report directly to the Design Manager. You will work with the Design Manager and your peers to craft the experiences of our new characters. You will build the foundations of the player experience. Your in-depth analysis, player empathy, and creativity will help create game experiences that engage and surprise players. You will work with interdisciplinary teams, contributing and translating feedback to iterate player-focused designs to delight millions around the world.
While this is a game design role - the requirements also include significant engineering competency.
- Work with a diverse team of developers to build new content and features for League of Legends to achieve Riot's strategic goals
- Be the "go to" person for complex implementations of design content, and for shepherding projects that require heavy programmer/designer interaction.
- Guide other designers and engineers in approaches to building features that allow us to develop quickly now and in the future.
- Openly share work in critiques and seek feedback from other designers
- Be an example to other designers in writing clever, elegant, and maintainable implementations within designer tools.
- Apply League of Legends and game design knowledge to find new gameplay spaces
- 2+ years of experience as a Technical Game Designer or Gameplay Engineer or similar positions.
- You apply a rigorous approach to design. You identify what creates interesting gameplay, what's appealing to players and why things work. You're able to translate lessons from one genre to another.
- You can identify a problem, generate a range of solutions to it, and identify the most appropriate one. You're then able to create and communicate the details of that proposed solution.
- You are exemplary at sharing and asking for feedback.
- You are comfortable with C++, and can work across a complex codebase for features and tools, and can ramp into new spaces quickly.
- Extensive League of Legends game knowledge
- You express the goals of your project to both designers and non-designers, along with the rationale behind how you build those goals.
- Experience translating thematics into game mechanics
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.