Engineering Manager - League of Legends, Merchant Guild
Job Id: REQ-0004315
Riot Engineering Managers gain organizational alignment by building an engineering vision and offering creative solutions to organizational design. They serve as mentors for engineers, oversee their performance, and find stretch opportunities for their growth while maintaining a focus on results.
As the Engineering Manager, you will support the engineers achieve the goals of the GuildHall team under Merchant Guild. The GuildHall team oversees the operations of Merchant Guild services including League of Legends (LoL) Store and Loot. The team, also, builds tools that allow e-commerce administrators across League configure content into these acquisition channels.
The GuildHall team is structured with two main areas of focus - Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) and Content Configuration Tools. The SRE pod operates essential services such as LoL Store and Loot and scaling them to millions of players around the world. The Content Configuration Tools pod develops and improves tools and workflows that make it easier for e-commerce admins to author and deploy content into services located in data centers around the world.
You will work with a diverse team consisting of designers, engineers, producers, and QA. You will report to the Senior Engineering Manager.
- Create and socialize an engineering vision with the team and partners including the Technology, Product, and Process Leads.
- Support the vision with a solid strategy including the reallocation of resources to focus on priorities.
- Operate with a results orientation emphasizing the importance of efficiency and productivity and prioritizing the highest-value work on the team.
- Interview and hire software engineers to help teams scale.
- Mentor engineers identifying stretch opportunities for them to grow.
- Manage the health and performance of the engineering team with empathy and authenticity, building trust, and inspiring them to overcome challenges.
- Seek different perspectives, encouraging engineers and others to contribute ideas. Base your decisions on sound analysis and avoid biases.
- Provide technical expertise throughout the product life cycle including design, implementation, and delivery of features while improving the software engineering quality and efficiency.
- 8+ years experience as a software engineer with a focus on building distributed services and web applications.
- 2+ years experience directly leading an engineering team either as an Engineering Manager or Technical Lead & mentor.
- Experience with software development, including shipping one or more products on large code bases.
- Experience collaborating across departments to create solutions.
- Experience with C++, HTML/CSS.
- Experience running a live Game-as-a-Service.
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).