Technical User Experience Designer III
Job Id: REQ-0005421
As a User Experience Designer, you will design, tweak, and optimize the player experience. Your analytical skills, player insight, and creativity aid in crafting in- and out-of-game experiences that engage and surprise players. You will collaborate with interdisciplinary teams and work with every tool at hand to innovate and iterate player-focused designs that'll delight millions around the world.
As a Technical User Experience Designer III in R&D you are responsible for end-to-end problem solving starting with wireframes, mockups, and early prototypes up to final implementation. As part of your job you will communicate your designs to other disciplines including engineering, gameplay, art, and the leadership team. You must have previous experience with blueprints or scripting as well as UI implementation (ideally Unity or Unreal). In addition to transferring your own work from concept to in-engine you will be expected to help artists and other designers do the same. You will report to the UX Design Lead of the project.
- Drive UX design across multiple workstreams, focusing on the interaction design and player flows for these areas
- Deliver appropriate UX design artifacts (wireframes, user flows, etc) and prototype UI
- Coordinate with UX designers and partner disciplines to implement content from prototype to polished in-game experiences on multiple platforms
- Support high level design in developing systems such as control schemes, HUDs, and front end UI/UX flow.
- Communicate your data-informed vision and design rationale to the team and stakeholders.
- Break down experiences thoughtfully for teams to ship value incrementally (i.e., minimum viable experience), making appropriate trade-offs between fidelity and functionality
- Establish experiential quality metrics and interaction consistency across player-facing systems
- 5+ years industry experience, having led significant portions of the UX for at least one shipped game title or major release of a consumer-facing digital product
- Experience and passion for directly implementing UI into the game via our editor and scripting languages
- Understanding of mobile gaming patterns, across genres
- Experience with UI prototyping tools such as Figma, Sketch or Adobe XD
- Experience designing in-game or around-game UX systems
- Ability to plan and estimate UX efforts for projects
- Please include your portfolio and clearly identity your contributions per project
- Experience designing interfaces on Mobile, PC, and Console, with strong understanding of interaction modalities across phone, controller, keyboard, and mouse
- Experience with Unreal
- Experience with game design
- Experience with motion design or After Effects
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.