Manager, Software Engineering - Player Platform, SDK Systems
Job Id: REQ-0005637
Riot Engineering Managers inspire and direct Rioters to solve complicated technical problems and are accountable for growing team performance and health. As an Engineering Manager on the Developer Platform SDK team, you will lead a team creating software solutions making the integration of Riot Platform features simple, intuitive and reliable; supporting all of Riot’s games, entertainment and esports client applications.
You and the SDK team will achieve this through:
- Working closely with Game and Experiences teams, empowering them to quickly and reliably deliver maximum value for Players and Fans; this includes VALORANT, League of Legends, TFT, etc.
- Partnering with internal teams like Game Platform Services, Commerce, Central Player Dynamics, among others, to integrate their capabilities into the SDK
- Building client-side access to and insight into Riot Player Platform's capabilities including multiplayer, commerce, social, etc
- Implementing features for multiple platforms (PC, game consoles, iOS, Android), game engines like Unreal and Unity, and problem spaces like voice and communications.
- Evolving the core technology the SDK is built on, investing in making it easier for our engineers to build and maintain an SDK that is reliable, sustainable, observable, extensible, and high quality.
- Manage a team of 4-10 software engineers; coaching them, overseeing performance management, identifying growth opportunities, and ensuring positive results.
- Manage the health and performance of the engineering team with empathy and authenticity, building trust and inspiring them to overcome challenges.
- Contribute to all parts of the employee life-cycle, including recruiting, hiring, managing, and mentoring engineers.
- Grow the team through hiring and construct an onboarding process for new team members.
- Stay hands-on with your team's tech, overseeing the technical design and deliverables of the team and working with your team's technical lead.
- Build healthy relationships with other engineering teams at Riot to foster cross-team collaboration.
- Work with game team's technical leads in wholly understanding development needs and challenges when working with central technologies at Riot
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years experience as a software engineer or in a role directly supporting software engineering teams
- 2+ years experience managing an engineering team
- Expertise in full software development life cycle management
- Expertise in project management, prioritization frameworks, and guiding investment strategies in people and systems.
- Experience delivering on multi-month or multi-year projects, establishing clear deliverables and reporting on progress.
- Experience collaborating across multiple teams and prioritizing work efforts.
- Experience with API/SDK architecture and development
- Experience working with multi threaded systems implemented in C++
- Familiarity with client/service application architecture, HTTP based web services at scale
- Understanding the capabilities and limitations of mobile platforms;
- Experience in iOS, Android, console development
- Experience in using game engines like Unreal, Unity
- Passion for effective testing strategies
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).