Senior UX Designer - Unpublished Fighting Game
Job Id: REQ-0005748
As a Senior UX Designer, you are a member of Riot’s design team that encompasses craft experts across game, narrative, and systems design. Your work includes end-to-end experience design for our players, ranging from initial conceptual sketches and prototypes, to production-ready deliverables.
As a Senior User Experience Designer for Project L, you'll build the core interaction models for our new fighting game, focusing on meta- and around-game experiences. Reporting to the UX Lead for the project, you’ll be embedded inside our XD team where, along with your teammates, you will deliver conceptual to implementation-ready designs across a broad range of player-facing experiences. You’ll have the ability to drive UX design for multiple areas, and will need to be comfortable having a high level of independent initiative to balance workloads across your responsibilities. You’ll be a storyteller, presenting player experience ideas to members of your team using a variety of methods. As an active collaborator, you’ll work alongside tech and visual design experts to ideate and iterate on designs both in and out of the engine. Ideal candidates will balance design, tech, and product objectives to deliver compelling experiences for our players. To be successful, you’ll leverage a deep desire to understand the motivations of the fighting game community (FGC) and represent them in your designs.
- Lead UX design across multiple areas, focusing on interaction design, player flows, and presentation elements
- Deliver appropriate UX design artifacts for the team (e.g., strategy articulation, discovery/ research results, journey maps, Information Architectures (IAs), flows, wireframes, mockups, and interactive prototypes) to implementation level quality
- Break down experiences thoughtfully for teams to ship value incrementally (i.e., minimum viable experience), making appropriate trade-offs between fidelity and functionality
- Partner with Insights and QA to establish experiential quality metrics and interaction consistency, and develop plans for testing and reacting to player feedback
- Communicate your data- and research-informed design rationale to stakeholders in a clear manner
- Iterate and adjust UX in-engine as needed, to fine-tune the player experience
- Minimum 5 years of game industry experience, having led significant portions of the UX of at least two shipped game titles or major releases of consumer-facing digital products
- Experience designing interfaces on PC and/or Console, with strong understanding of interaction modalities across controller, keyboard, and mouse
- UX prototyping skills, using contemporary interactive design tools, like Figma
- Experience designing both in-game and meta-level UX systems
- Experience planning and estimating UX effort in an Agile dev environment
- Experience designing commerce, progression, social, or personalization systems for consumer products or games
- Familiarity working in Unreal Engine and UMG
- Familiarity with fighting games and the fighting game community (FGC)
- Console development experience
We will review your work as a part of the application process, so please provide a portfolio link or work samples with your application.
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.