Principal Software Engineer - League, Tools Core Tech
Job Id: REQ-0005928
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work in a variety of broader domains. As a Software Engineer, you’ll work with both new and current technology, creating innovative solutions to overcome high-volume obstacles and to deliver player value.
As a Principal Software Engineer on the Tools Teams, you will lead the technical vision for the core suite of tools used in the content development of League of Legends. You will ensure collaboration with technology owners across all other game initiatives (gameplay mechanics, skin development, etc) to ensure we have a thoughtful set of tools that content creators can leverage. For this role, you'll report to the team's Engineering Manager. You will also collaborate heavily with other teams and disciplines to ensure that your work improves the quality of life and effectiveness of those stakeholders. Our tools are written in C++ that make heavy use of the QT ecosystem for UI/UX and we also use Python for various utility needs.
- Collaboration with diverse teams to ensure features accomplish expectations from multiple dimensions (code quality, extensibility, modularity, scalability, security, operational concerns, and industry standards/trends)
- Work and align with different partners that span across multiple teams to ensure we're delivering awesome features to excite them
- Setting the tone for, contributing to, and defining technical discussions/designs that your team is accountable for
- Maintain a sense of code ownership that includes developing/testing/deploying/maintaining frameworks, platforms, and tools
- Mentorship. You help Rioters develop the tools and creative atmosphere to shine, but ultimately hold them accountable for making smart calls and delivering player value
- Participate in the team's support rotation
- 8+ years of deep hands-on experiences with compiled programming languages (C/C++, Java, Go, or C#)
- Experience with C/C++ that spans various use-cases and platforms.
- Have been responsible for driving the design and leading of development of organization-sized efforts (1-year+ scope), including requirements gathering, planning, testing, and release or deployment
- Record of delivering organizational/customer value that has span multiple years
- Championed software development best practices within your organization that includes design/code reviews, coding standards, source control management, testing, delivery performance, scalability, and maintainability
- You have a strong history of mentoring others in both soft and hard skills
- 2+ years of experience in the video game industry that includes working within multiple game development pipelines (animation, VFX, environment, etc) and a portfolio of successfully delivered games
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).