Illustration Art Intern - League of Legends
Job Id: 5121
As part of the Illustration team, you’ll put stylus to Cintiq and create art that represents the essence of a champion to millions of players. You will use your artistic eye and keen understanding of dynamic lighting, form, and color to tell concise and evocative stories. By closely collaborating with a team of dedicated illustrators, concept artists, writers, animators and game developers, you will help define and illustrate each champion’s unique place in our universe.
- Create high quality illustrations for characters that communicate story through evocative, dynamic compositions with a strong sense of rendering
- Collaborate with various disciplines to help capture the personality and sense of story in various illustrations; from splash images to in-game promotional events
- Give and receive extensive feedback
- Create promotional art for various projects and events on as-needed basis
- Apply ‘out of the box’ creativity for video game art by painting visually awesome experiences for players
- Currently enrolled in a college, university or non degree program
- Available to work full-time hours for 10-12 weeks at our Los Angeles headquarters (subject to change based on COVID-19 restrictions)
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop
- Showcase ability to create high quality 2D splash illustrations
- Good knowledge of art fundamentals, visual storytelling, anatomy, lighting, materials and color theory
- Good understanding of the League of Legends splash style including character focused compositions with stylized anatomy, heroic compositions and cinematic/realistic believability
- Experience in creating high end digital art assets in Adobe Photoshop
- Good understanding for 2D Illustration Asset production pipelines
- Ability to showcase a character’s story and portray personality through facial expression and posing
- Experience with dynamic compositions, compelling silhouettes, and creative use of camera angles
- Familiarity with Riot Games’ characters, IP universes and lore
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
General Portfolio Advice:
- Please limit application submission to 1 role. You will automatically be considered for similar roles based on your portfolio
- Online format is preferred (Artstation, personal websites, etc.)
- If you have private work that is under NDA, please include the password in your application. Otherwise, we recommend you do not password protect your portfolio
- Test that your portfolio or reel is accessible. Please include access to your portfolio on your resume in addition to the application form in case the link breaks
- Ensure your portfolio showcases your best work
- Fan Art? Sure! It shows your versatility as it relates directly to our art style
- Depending on the role, immersing yourself in the game to get the feel, tone and look can go a long way for your portfolio
Riot Internships are paid, and we offer relocation and housing support. Interns can also participate in our 401(k) plan. You can expect subsidized meals, in-game perks, and the ability to participate in our Play Fund, so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games. The University Programs team also invites you to intern focused events so you can connect with your fellow interns and Rioters to make the most out of your experience.
Applications Close January 6th 12:00pm PT
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).