Senior Database Engineer - Infrastructure Platform, Database Engineering
Job Id: REQ-0006016
Database Engineering at Riot is challenged with administration, developing and scaling Riot database capabilities to meet the scale and performance of all of Riot’s Live Service game’s and shared services. The team aspires to become a center of excellence for shared persistent data store technologies.
As a Sr. Database Engineer you will be working on a large breadth of service and game architecture at Riot. You will be designing and administering solutions to help teams implement database standards you have established to make service databases easier to operate and maintain. You’ll be partnering and coordinating with engineers across Riot and ironing out overlooked details that matter.
You’re right for this role if the idea of working on high impact, high visibility, high expectation projects that provide demonstrated database improvements for our players excites you. You love building iterative approaches to problems and know how to compromise between ideal solutions and practical outcomes.
- Design and implement routine data migrations between MySQL data sources as part of routine database consolidation, upgrades and host changes.
- Design and implement replication and backup technologies for critical MySQL databases
- Design and implement Database level monitoring and alerting for Riot’s MySQL database stack
- Design and implement Relational Database schema and query changes, supporting assorted service and game development teams with their database performance and application needs.
- Be part of active 24x7 on call rotation with your team
- 4+ years administration experience working with large (and small) scale Relational MySQL databases
- 4+ years administration experience working with cloud based and locally deployed MySQL technologies
- Experience with full database development life cycle
- Proven ability to design and implement automated data migrations using replication, code and business logic between data systems
- Proven ability to work with development teams and service code on schema, query and database design
- Proven ability to administrate, maintain and recover MySQL databases
- Ability to optimize Database and SQL Query performance
- Linux systems administration skills (operate the database and the infrastructure)
- Hands on experience with Percona MySQL
- Ability to solve problems with programming scripts (python, bash etc)
- Ability to implement solutions through automation
- Proven experience using monitoring and alerting tools to determine health of your database ecosystem.
- Associates/Bachelors Degree Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent experience.
- Ability to go on call every 4 weeks.
- Familiarity with NoSQL technologies
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes and microservice application development
- Experience programming in GoLang, Python and/or Java
- Hands on experience with AWS RDS or Aurora
- Ability to speak Korean and English conversationally
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and choices that focus on your fellow Rioters, who are the customers of your work. Being a dedicated fan of games is not necessary for this position!
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).