Senior Software Engineer, Gameplay - Unpublished R&D Product
Job Id: REQ-0006090
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work in a variety of broader domains. As a Software Engineer, you’ll also dive into projects that focus on team cohesiveness and cross-team objectives. You’ll drive gameplay features and provide other engineers with a clear illustration of extraordinary engineering.
As a Senior Software Engineer focused on a Research & Development team, you will work to craft systems and features related to character behaviors and animation. You will work in a growing team alongside designers, artists, and other engineers to answer fundamental product questions and build experiences that will fulfill our players’ imaginative dreams. The ideal candidate is empathetic to the needs of a collaborative team, driven by curiosity, and wants to guide the technical vision of this area of the game. You will report to the Engineering Manager of the gameplay systems team.
- Identify, prioritize, and implement game systems and engine features in a new title that bring our characters to life
- Collaborate across disciplines to identify feature requirements, pain points, and areas of focus to help craft a fantastic player experience
- Lead development of and contribute to architecture requirements, technical design, and implementation for relevant animation systems
- As development advances into full production, iterate on robust, scalable, and performant solutions
- Mentor other engineers on the team in all aspects of game development
- Software development experience where you identified customer needs and delivered great results to meet them
- Experience with animation systems in game engines (Character locomotion, blending, working with authored content, etc), or excitement to work in that domain
- Demonstrated aptitude developing data driven systems in C++
- Ability to balance technical quality with pragmatism around timelines (You know when to do something right, and when to do something “good enough”)
- You thrive when collaborating with teammates across multiple disciplines
- Familiarity with game AI concepts (Behavior trees, pathfinding, etc)
- Familiarity with networked game programming
- Unreal Engine or other commercial game engine experience
- Experience with pre-production and production phases of game development
- Experience with agile development processes
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.