VFX Artist II - Unpublished R&D Product
Job Id: REQ-0006259
As part of the Real-Time VFX team, you’ll design and help implement the sleek, dynamic and dramatic special effects that add atmosphere and depth to gameplay. With your experience, you’ll create aesthetically astounding visual effects that communicate essential game information. You’ll use your artistic and technical skills to breathe life into undead spells, channel primal emotions and visualize the richness of our universes.
As a VFX Artist II in Research and Development, you will report to the Art Director. You will work closely with our R&D game developers to communicate each effect's actions, impact, and tonal experience, ultimately helping to bring worlds to life.
- Design and implement sleek, dynamic, and dramatic special effects for ability visuals
- Balance gameplay needs and thematic direction while hitting craft quality benchmarks for VFX consistently
- Create aesthetically astounding visual effects that communicate essential game information
- Seeking growth opportunities from team members in and out of product space that work towards growth goals.
- Rapidly creating temporary FX to prototype new gameplay mechanics
- Proactively engage with discipline and team rituals including feedback and community of practice
- Collaborate on creative and complex assignments with multiple disciplines to achieve a shared vision
- Use your craft skills to draw, paint, animate and model with equal proficiency as-needed
- 3+ years’ experience in video games industry
- Skills in 3D/2D Software - Maya, Photoshop
- Proficiency in VFX fundamentals like timing, shape language, and color theory.
- Experience developing Unreal Blueprints
- Experience programming in C++ and UnrealScript
- Experience with advanced modeling like rigging and animating
- Experience making complex materials for use on characters
- Experience creating stylized real-time VFX
- Knowledge of first / third person camera orientation in games, and how this affects visual clarity and game design.
As a part of the application process, you will be expected to provide a portfolio or demo reel of your work and may be asked to complete an art test.
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.