Senior Manager, Software Engineering - Developer Portals & Game Distribution
Job Id: REQ-0006131
Riot Engineering Managers inspire and direct Rioters to solve meaningful technical problems and are accountable for growing team performance and health. As a Senior Engineering Manager on the Developer Portals & Game Distribution team, you will lead the creation of software solutions that allow players to have the latest version of the games in their hands, and experiences that help game developers’ integrate with the suite of services provided by Riot's Player Platform business unit. Our teams’ products support all of Riot’s Game Teams, and extend beyond Riot to our external developers to build fan-empowering experiences, entertainment, and esports client applications.
This role is available in Los Angeles, CA and Bellevue, WA.
- Manage a group of 12+ software engineers; coaching them, overseeing performance management, identifying growth opportunities, and ensuring positive results
- Manage and socialize an engineering vision for the team, including working with other leaders to create a long-term organization and staffing plan that supports technical product goals
- Manage the health and performance of the engineering team with empathy and authenticity, building trust and inspiring them to overcome challenges.
- Contribute to all parts of the employee life-cycle, including budgets, recruiting, hiring, managing, and mentoring engineers, as well as managing contingent staff
- Partner with your Technical Leads to provide technical direction
- Work with game teams’ technical leads in wholly understanding development needs and challenges when working with central technologies at Riot
- Build healthy relationships with other engineering teams at Player Platform and Riot to foster cross-team collaboration
- Manage relationships across the organization and create opportunities for the team to have Player Platform -wide and Riot-wide impact
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience
- 4+ years experience managing engineering teams
- 5+ years professional experience as a software engineer
- Experience in full software development life cycle management
- Experience collaborating across multiple teams and prioritizing work efforts
- Expertise in project management, prioritization frameworks, and guiding investment strategies in people and systems
- Experience delivering on multi-month or multi-year projects, establishing clear deliverables and reporting on progress.
- Frontend development experience (e.g. ReactJS, Typescript)
- Backend development experience (e.g. GoLang or similar language, Kafka or similar event streaming tech, web services / REST APIs)
- Familiarity with cloud platforms such as AWS, GCP, MS Azure
- Good understanding of distributed systems and CICD
- Experience leading full-stack teams
- Experience leading remote teams
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and choices that focus on your fellow Rioters, who are the customers of your work. Being a dedicated fan of games is not necessary for this position!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in gaming
It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).