Senior Narrative Manager
Job Id: REQ-0006434
As a Senior Narrative Manager, your expertise with the written word and your stellar people-management skills will help you bring Riot’s internal IP resource materials to new levels of excellence. In partnership with the Head of Creative Foundations and the Art Director of Creative Foundations, you complete a triad of craft expertise that sets the vision for what IP documentation looks and feels like, and lead the quest for anticipating and capturing future needs. On a tactical level, you'll make sure work is well-written, error-free, and conforms to Riot’s in-house style, while elevating that style with your experience and insight. You'll manage and mentor a group of writers and editors, fostering growth in both their craft and soft skills, and set the craft bar on the team. As an IP expert, you’ll contribute meaningfully to the worldbuilding efforts our team sets forth, partnering with our internal artists and product teams.
The Creative Foundations team is a central part of the IP Strategy team, which works to support all production teams at Riot, unlocking Riot’s ability to effectively collaborate on resonant, coherent, impactful stories that delight fans across the world. Specifically, Creative Foundations helps Riot develop its intellectual property by enshrining its characters and environments in style and product guides, documenting the lore of our universes, and working with environment artists to develop the unknown areas of the IP. It is responsible for creating the IP resource material used across all of Riot’s IP expressions--games, stories, animations, merchandise, and more. It is a team of creatives who believe in the power of consistent, believable worldbuilding to support incredible storytelling, and love building bridges between all the teams telling those stories at Riot.
As a Senior Narrative Manager on the Creative Foundations team, you'll work with artists, designers, and producers to ensure content is presented clearly and evocatively, and that writing, art, and design support and enhance one another. As part of the central team responsible for maintaining cohesion and protectability of Riot’s IPs, your work will be seen throughout all of Riot’s output. You will directly affect the quality and impact of our foundational materials which, in turn, increases the quality and consistency of our IP across products. You’ll be responsible for thinking strategically about the longevity of materials, keeping them engaging and inspiring for creatives to use. As we develop our IP Hub, you’ll be instrumental in reformatting and editorializing our foundational materials to an intuitive digital medium that best serves our customers. As a narrative craft expert, you’ll be tapped in to give your expertise from both storytelling and technical editing perspectives.
The ideal candidate for this role is driven to achieve excellence in creative world-building, is an all-star collaborator who loves the creative process and working with other creatives, and has a strategic mind for creating systems to better understand a fictional world. Additionally, the ideal candidate is passionate and successful in nurturing talent and growth within their team.
- Establish and ensure the quality of narrative craft for all materials produced by the Creative Foundations team
- Work with writers, editors, producers, stakeholders, and product owners to create high impact and educational internal IP resource materials that achieve the goals of each type of work.
- Ensure the accuracy and narrative quality of the IP Hub, as well as advocate for improvements to keep the tool useful as Riot’s IPs evolve.
- Think strategically about the longevity of materials, keeping them engaging and inspiring for creatives to use.
- Manage and mentor multiple direct reports within the narrative team.
- Advocate for IP consistency across teams, and establish a culture of sharing documentation and knowledge across creative communities within Riot.
- Embody Riot’s cultural values in interpersonal interactions and the production of narrative content.
- In partnership with leaders across the IP Strategy team, proactively assess areas of narrative IP support required within Riot and, where needed, contribute writing and worldbuilding expertise beyond foundational material.
- 8+ years of professional industry experience in games or related entertainment media.
- 4+ Years experience managing other writers and editing their work.
- Edited published content in at least two different media (one of which, must be digital).
- Experience working in agile team environments, and giving clear and applicable feedback.
- Experience working in a multi-platform IP with an understanding of editorial processes, from planning to publication.
- Familiarity with the League of Legends IP, Valorant IP, and Riot’s portfolio of games.
- Experience with game pipelines and execution constraints of multiple genres of games
- Experience participating on or overseeing a team that contributes to content management systems and/or digital publishing platforms
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and choices that focus on your fellow Rioters, who are the customers of your work. Being a dedicated fan of games is not necessary for this position!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.