VFX Art Leadership
Established in early 2016, the Hong Kong Studio is Riot’s first international game development studio. We’re a diverse team, representing 15 nationalities and partnering with teams in the LA headquarters on our flagship title League of Legends, and on an unannounced R&D project, putting the “s” in Riot Games.
While operating like a startup—with autonomy and total ownership—we’re doubling down on our ambitions to build out a world-class studio in a vibrant, international city, on a continent that is home to the League of Legends World Champion teams for the last seven years running. The Hong Kong Studio is searching the planet for talented, passionate people, across all aspects of game development, to help build Riot’s blueprint for a global, multi-studio world... and to make great games!
As a further step forward, we’ve done away with the traditional hierarchical title structure. Even though titles don’t really matter at any Riot office, taking this extra step helps reinforce our desire to keep teamwork at the forefront of what we do. Focusing on working together helps promote individual autonomy, ownership, collaboration, and inclusivity so every Rioter can thrive while we relentlessly pursue games.
That's where you come in.
As a lead member of Hong Kong Studio Real-Time VFX team, you'll lead the design and help implement the sleek, dynamic, and dramatic special effects that add atmosphere and depth to gameplay. With your experience, building aesthetically astounding visual effects that communicate essential game information. You'll use your artistic and technical skills to breathe life into undead spells, channel primal fury, and collect the essence of hundreds of champions.
- An expert and shown mentor: heavily involved in mentoring and art directing external artists, you're an open book of knowledge and experience that team members find easy to read and understand; you resolve conflicts and help lead cross-team relationships
- A visual art aficionado: your brain holds a library of spell effects and the methods you used to build them; your encyclopedic knowledge of visual effects helps you synthesize brand new assets from classic designs
- Versatile: you draw, paint, animate, and model with equal proficiency; you live for collaborating across disciplines to hone your skills and push your boundaries
- A problem enthusiast: you execute your mission with complete autonomy if the need arises; you're dedicated in finding creative and effective solutions to vigilantly eliminate difficult problems
- Define and collaborate on real-time visual effects with designers, developers, and other artists to clearly communicate in-game information while making players' jaws drop
- Meet deadlines while scaling your work back or ramping up according to the needs of the project
- Turn wild ideas into awe-inspiring reality through visual effects, whether fish swimming through waves or the eerie glowing of freed souls rife for collecting
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.