Mid / Senior Level Game Designer [R&D]
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played PC game in the world, over 100 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
As a SF Bay Area Rioter, you’ll join a team combining world-class talent with a deep-rooted love of gaming to discover and deliver fresh experiences for players. Our projects offer development challenges across the spectrum, presenting unique opportunities for best-in-spec engineers, artists, designers, and devs of all stripes. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That's where you come in.
As Mid / Senior Level Game Designer [R&D], you'll design, tweak, and optimize the player experience. You'll apply rigorous critical thinking and a Dr. Mundo-strength dose of imagination to engineer fun in the form of thrilling in- and out-of-game experiences. You'll work with every tool at hand and collaborate with interdisciplinary teams to innovate and iterate player-focused design that’ll delight millions around the world.
- Experienced: you have around 4-6 years of working experience. Ideally that experience is in game development, but even if your previous trajectory was in law, analytic philosophy, or strategy consulting you're propelled by an engine of critical thought with unlimited theoretical horsepower
- A design maverick: you concisely articulate game concepts with balanced persistence and analyze and ideate mechanics with equal and opposite force; you’re fluent in many prevalent game systems and mechanics but have the critical thinking skills to know when it's time to chuck them in favor of something more radical
- Intellectually curious: you've most likely earned a degree or two, but know education doesn't have an end date—you think on your feet and absorb new knowledge every day; you relish challenges for their learning opportunities and know when to pummel a problem solo and when to recruit expert backup
- To the point: your verbal and written communications are crisp and clear; your best work comes from a place of collaboration and teamwork and you know that quality results come from dynamic communication throughout the design process
- Tech-friendly: you either have a technical or programming background, or you think like an engineer and attack problems with the same systematic precision; experience with scripting languages and designer tools is a definite plus; if you are going for a technical game design role you're proficient in C++ and have experience working in it
- A gamer: your passion for play is matched only by the breadth of the games you've enjoyed online, and you easily identify and explain any game's strengths and weaknesses; deep knowledge of League of Legends earns you a level up, but isn't required
- Work on multi-disciplinary teams to conceptualize and build exceptional game content (i.e. champions, game systems, social systems, and other stuff we haven't talked about yet) for League of Legends or other unannounced projects
- Tune and balance content you're developing; extend those systems to realize new visions for gameplay and improve player experience
- Be in constant sync with the creative development process and use that synergy to fine-tune content into a powerful and consistent overall creative vision
- Gather, acknowledge, and respond to internal feedback, adjusting design choices as necessary
- Ensure all your content's well-organized and easily updated by other designers
- Know when to initiate and lead, and know when to play back-line and support
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.