Events Senior Technical Director
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played video game in the world, over 100 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That's where you come in.
As Esports Senior Technical Director, you'll oversee and execute all technical needs of live esports events. You'll plan and execute event technical solutions with precision and skill, while finding creative solutions to challenges that come along with event management. Whether you're planning the next LPL Finals or international events, you'll make the tough calls that drive the technical side of the energetic, fan-focused events, and work with multiple stakeholders and vendors to deliver a fantastic live and broadcasting experience.
As a Rioter in China, you'll join a team of internationally and culturally diverse professionals that share our prioritization of player experience, rejection of convention and maniacal passion for gaming.
To reinforce Riot’s collaborative culture in our China offices, we’ve decided to do away with the constraints of traditional hierarchical title structures that are more common in the region. Titles don’t really matter at any of Riot’s offices, but we chose to take this extra step in our China offices to foster a space where teamwork thrives. We believe that removing this constraint will promote individual autonomy, ownership, collaboration, and a focus on results. We promise you won’t need a title at Riot to make an impact.
- Experienced: you have 10+ years of direct technical production management or experience coming from a live event, theater, show, or TV/Movie background; you can demonstrate you have worked on large-scale events (10,000+ audience members) in China and have a proven track record of managing budgets in the millions; you’re sufficient in both English and Mandarin
- A technical production management expert: you’ve worked with teams to determine all technical needs and drive pre-event planning including onsite execution of lighting, rigging, audio, video, special effects, staging, site infrastructure, communications for shows and events, labor management, health & safety planning, risk assessments, and managing all technical production teams (vendor and labor) onsite
- A technical production tools master: you’re proficient in Vectorworks and AutoCAD and you’re able to effectively manage a drawing team
- A vendor management pro: you’ve worked with both world-class vendors and local vendors and you’re able to quickly arrange a technical team to deliver different scales of events
- A China local guru: you’re familiar with requirements by the Chinese government that affect shows including China PD application, requirements by customs when using out-of-region equipment or labor, and other local expertise
- An innovative challenger: you understand onsite methodology and best practices for live events of all kinds; you can read and interpret space plans and think outside of the box to adopt new design or technologies to events; you’re always tracking and learning the new technologies that could be used for events, always taking the challenge of designing new events to next level
- A deft communicator: you easily share detailed event logistics with others in any medium, be it email, face-to-face chats, or telepathy helmets; you develop and carefully maintain productive business relationships well with co-Rioters and vendors
- Work closely with Executive Producers, Producers, Lighting Designers, Production Designers, and Vendors to ensure the technical solutions are aligned with the overall vision and strategy of the event; manage on-site supervision of union and non-union labor and be responsible for and manage the technical production budgets; much of your time and energy will be focused on owning, managing, and maintaining vendor relationships, including the RFP/RFQ process; you’ll be deep in the technical details of a show, deliver shows that are large scale, technically complex, and best in class
- Develop and execute the vision, strategy, and tactics for events that draw hundreds to thousands of players and members of the gaming community, from LPL to international events, solving problems cross-functionally as a team when conflicts arise
- Build the global technical vendor pool and select vendors from world-class vendors to local professionals to support Riot in driving events for different scales and visions
- Work with professionals from various disciplines to design and develop event spaces, scenic, audio, video, special effects, etc. that are innovative and engaging experiences for players
- Oversee event execution to ensure players attending on-site and watching from home enjoy amazing esports experiences that form lasting memories
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.