Special Strategic Initiatives
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played video game in the world, over 100 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That's where you come in.
As a member of Special Strategic Initiatives, you will be taking charge of, developing and participating in delivering some of the most important and exciting new initiatives for League of Legends to players in China. Working closely with League Operations, Broadcasting, Business Development, Events and Publishing at both Riot China and Central, as well as the team from our local partner (Tencent), you are expected to be both a leader in our adventures into new territories of strategic potential and a key member of the special task force to bring our ambitious programs/projects to our players.
As a Rioter in China, you'll join a team of internationally and culturally diverse professionals that share our prioritization of player experience, rejection of convention and maniacal passion for gaming.
To reinforce Riot’s collaborative culture in our China offices, we’ve decided to do away with the constraints of traditional hierarchical title structures that are more common in the region. Titles don’t really matter at any of Riot’s offices, but we chose to take this extra step in our China offices to foster a space where teamwork thrives. We believe that removing this constraint will promote individual autonomy, ownership, collaboration, and a focus on results. We promise you won’t need a title at Riot to make an impact.
- A strategic thinker: you employ a holistic approach to set ambitious, but attainable goals, and carefully balance short-term solutions with long-term vision; not even the finest detail escapes your notice, and you take every variable into account, including: project scope, scheduling, redundancy planning, risks, and mitigation
- A hardcore gamer: your passion for video game is what drove you to the industry; you love games, are an avid fan of League esports, and take play seriously
- A creative but meticulous doer: many of the initiatives, programs and projects you will develop and do here are something no one did or succeed in this industry before. There are no exactly same cases where you can just copy. What you need to do is to hold tight to the vision, think out of box, but plan meticulously, and execute cautiously. In many cases, the decisions or recommendations you make are bold and even pretty anti-intuitive but it is based on careful planning and thorough analysis.
- A strong communicator: you have pro communication capabilities, and are able to effectively collaborate with internal teams, our close partners, and third-party vendors; you are a good listener and are able to communicate with candor, concision, and clarity, also able to create positive relationships with stakeholders through the appropriate management of their expectations and agreed objectives.
- Proven success in previous career: you can expect to do a lot of things that you have no experience for. But it is important that you have good experience and proven track record of success in challenging industries such as consultancy, finance, IT, gaming, marketing, media etc..
- A humble but fast learner: esports and gaming is a fast-developing industry that keeps changing all the time; rules and experience from yesterday may not be applicable today, there is always a lot of new stuff to learn; you're capable, yet humble, and you're eager to learn new things from your colleagues and more importantly, from players, no matter who they are
- Multilingual: you speak both Mandarin and English fluently, in order to communicate with Rioters in diverse global teams, and with some of our global partners and vendors
- Research, develop and execute new strategic initiatives and relevant experimental projects in League of Legends esports and other areas and follow up through in every step of execution working with internal teams, partner teams, and third-party vendors and deliver value and excitements to a broad reach of audience in China
- Drive and manage the timeline for new strategic initiatives and experimental projects
- Measure the results of execution, identify key learnings, and evolve the initiatives to deliver greater value to players
- Support other key projects of strategic significance in China as special task force
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.