Engineering Leadership - Data Engineering
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played PC game in the world, over 100 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That's where you come in.
As a Senior Engineering Leader for our Big Data team, you'll help lead product engineering for Riot's Insights data ecosystem. Leading senior technical staff as well as other engineering leaders within the group. You'll help set and drive the engineering vision and leadership for a multi-team group of engineers and data professionals in an innovative and fast-paced environment. You'll be expected to have both deep technical skills in data architecture, big data as well as leadership and organizational skills.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- 10+ years of relevant software development experience
- 5+ years leading and/or managing large, fast-paced and dynamic data teams
- Experience guiding a portfolio of products from conception to delivery
- A proven track record of designing and managing successful high-capacity, large-scale, data ecosystem projects/architectures
- Capable of technical deep-dives into code, networking, operating systems, and storage yet verbally and cognitively agile enough to hold their own in a strategy discussion
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and oral
- Product-oriented: you're oriented around building products for players and internal partners, and you know there's no point building tech in a vacuum
- Technical strategic thinking: you approach technical problems from multiple angles, exhibiting a strong base of data engineering and/or machine learning knowledge; you have expertise in big data and/or machine learning platforms
- A collaborative leader: you're able to lead a team through an ambiguous problem space (Big Data and Data Science are constantly changing); you also have a good feel for when to take a backseat and when to lead the charge.
- A proficient manager: you have a deep understanding how to build organizations to deliver on technical product vision
- Empathetic: You're armed with deep customer (technical and non-technical) empathy
- Develop engineering vision and roadmap for products and teams within the big data ecosystem
- Lead software engineers, data scientists and data analysts in order to deliver on product vision
- Provide the mentoring and guidance to create an environment for Riot engineers and analysts to continually reach new heights within their career
- Work closely with stakeholders to understand and define the value delivered by each part of the ecosystem
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.
Additional insight into applying to Riot Engineering is available on our discipline page.