Head of Platform Engineering
Riot Games, founded in 2006 is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA and has 23 offices worldwide. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends and over 100 million people now play the game every month. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Delivering content to a global audience of millions of players whilst also building new games affords Riot's Engineering discipline with a mountain of exciting and technically complex challenges.
The Head of Engineering for RPG (Riot Platform Group), will lead engineering for a large product group of roughly 200 engineers, spanning across four different initiatives. RPG is developing the core platform for our internal game teams to use, to accelerate the development and publishing cycle of our games. You will be a member of the leadership team and inform the future direction and delivery of the platform to meet product and tech department goals and objectives. Additionally, you’ll be accountable for the organizational leadership of the engineers within the group, as well as leadership, performance, and mentorship of the initiative leads of the group.
You will balance responsibilities across three strengths:
- Organizational Leadership
Accountable for all aspects of technology within their products. A major component of that is ensuring an effective organization exists to meet the needs of the product. This requires adeptness at steering a large organization, building extraordinary teams, putting accountability structures in place, and communicating effectively across the four different initiative teams within RPG.
- Technical Leadership
Understand the overarching company technical strategy, how the product group fits in with that strategy, and ensure effective strategy execution. This position will manage the Product Tech Lead directly, and also interact with other tech leads across the group to ensure proper architectural and engineering standard methodologies are exceptional.
- Execution & Delivery
Responsible for making sure their engineering teams deliver value to Riot and to our players. Working in partnership with Product Management and Delivery Management, this position will ensure that teams are building software development, and operational standard methodologies to improve velocity and value.
- You will build and lead a highly effective engineering organization capable of delivering on product and technology goals
- You will provide leadership, development, and mentorship to the four initiative engineering leads and the product technical lead
- Participate as part of the RPG Leadership team to hold the group accountable and support them in delivering on the product roadmap
- Ensure the engineering group is operating effectively and implementing software development standard methodologies
- Ensure the group technical leads are held accountable, delivering high-quality solutions, architectures, and designs, aligned with product goals and strategies
- Partner with other Engineering Leaders from around Riot to ensure customers voices are heard
- Effectively staff teams through appropriate and effective recruiting practices. Steward Riot’s recruiting process and ensure high standards are cascaded and followed throughout the group
- Hold a high bar for performance and delivery; ensuring proper planning and expectations are in place
- Actively stewarding and building a balanced team culture where Rioters feel empowered and motivated
- Provide visibility to key partners and tech leadership about progress, risks, and needs
- 10+ years of leading engineering teams of growing scope
- Experienced leading multiple other leaders of large-sized (60+) sub-organizations or departments
- Skilled at team-building, performance management, and mentorship
- Prior experience at a senior IC level as a Software Engineer or Architect
- Advanced Computer Science degree or equivalent experience
- Platform or online services delivery experience
- Operational leadership (infrastructure, NOC, etc.) experience a plus
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).