Game Designer, Combat and Progression - R&D
As a Game Designer, you will design and optimize the player experience. Your analytical skills, player insight, and creativity help craft in- and out-of-game experiences that engage and surprise players. You will collaborate with interdisciplinary teams and work with every tool at hand to create innovative, player-focused designs that'll delight millions around the world.
As a Game Designer in Research & Development working on an early stage product, you will help decipher one of Riot’s next big bets. You have experience in Combat Mechanics and Feel, or Gameplay Progression Systems. As a Game Designer, you partner with other designers, artists, and engineers to improve and iterate player-focused designs that aim at delivering a groundbreaking experience. We are still a small team, so this requires plenty of hands-on work creating, and tuning systems/mechanics. You are comfortable operating in an ambiguous environment where goals and constraints are mostly team driven and where change, big and small, is an essential part of the process. You will report to the Game Design Manager on the team.
- Design and improve mechanics and systems that satisfy players and further solidify the game concept.
- Lead small cross disciplinary teams (2-4 people) to build systems and mechanics that achieve product goals.
- Create and provide multiple potential designs and solutions. Articulate trade-offs and risks between different options.
- Playtest the game and help push for continued improvements for existing designs and fresh prototypes.
- Seek opportunities for new design spaces in collaboration with Product Managers and Design Leadership.
- 3+ years of experience in professional Game Design
- Experienced in at least one of the following areas: Combat Mechanics, Combat Feel, or Gameplay Progression Systems
- You have demonstrated proficiency at scripting in at least two different engines
- Shipped or worked on at least one AAA+ online game
- Can create complex mechanics and systems with attention to the player impacts and downstream effects
- Deep level of understanding, passion, and engagement with online multiplayer PvE games (ARPG, MMOs)
- Experience working on a live product
- Experience designing AI/combat NPCs, Social Systems or Monetization
- Is familiar with the LoL IP
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00)