Staff Software Engineer, Data - Unpublished Fighting Game
Job Id: REQ-0004216
Engineers at Riot master their craft by building, launching, and operating games that delight players all over the world. As a Staff Software Engineer you will dive into projects that focus on team cohesiveness and cross-team goals. You'll lead without authority and provide other engineers with a clear illustration of extraordinary engineering.
Project L is Riot's League-IP take on a competitive fighting game. As a Staff Software Engineer focused on Data, you will be the first data-focused engineer on Project L. You will help launch the game with telemetry to balance matches, tune player experiences, and feed new data-powered products. The work in front of us ranges from doing data modeling and telemetry implementation, to building traditional data pipelines, to designing and operating novel machine learning and artificial intelligence capabilities. You will collaborate with engineers, analysts, producers, and game designers across all aspects of the game – including mentoring others across disciplines. You will report to the Senior Manager for Live Games Data.
- Contribute to planning the overall telemetry catalog and data strategy of Project L
- Handle a range of engineering problems related to data capabilities from in-game all the way down to backend service implementations
- Develop in-game features that are backed by analytics or machine learning services
- Design large-scale backend services to support analytics and data science capabilities
- Collaborate with Riot Data and other central technology teams to consume and contribute to the Riot platform
- Work with other engineers, producers, game designers, data science, UX experts and other disciplines within game development
- Apply software engineering best practices in your work, ensuring that you're building reliable, maintainable systems and contribute to the engineering community within Riot
- Work with cloud technologies and services such as AWS
- Mentor more junior engineers on the team
- 6+ years of experience building large scale backend systems or data services (internships, freelance work, part time developer work, and post-bachelor degrees count as relevant experience)
- BS degree or equivalent experience
- Expertise with one or more languages commonly used for service programming, and one or more languages commonly used for data processing
- Expertise with distributed data processing and data storage systems
- Experience developing data systems from scratch, including gathering requirements and designing scalable, production-ready architecture
- Experience working on a global scale online game or consumer product
- Experience in analytics, machine learning, business intelligence, or any related area, including collaboration with data scientists or business analysts
- Experience in SQL, relational databases, or key-value store / NoSQL-style systems
- Experience with data pipelining tools such as Airflow
- Experience with containerization technologies such as Docker
- Experience with Golang, C++, Python
- Familiarity with persistent queuing and pub/sub systems such as Kafka
- Familiarity with build pipelines including Jenkins
- Familiarity with online game netcode, particularly fighting games
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).