Staff Software Engineer - VALORANT Accelerator
Job Id: REQ-0005431
Riot Engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work in a variety of broader domains. As a Staff Software Engineer, you’ll also dive into projects that focus on team cohesiveness and cross-team objectives. You’ll guide other engineers and provide them with a clear illustration of extraordinary engineering.
VALORANT is Riot’s take on a character-based tactical shooter (for more info on VALORANT click here!). As a Staff Software Engineer focused on accelerating VALORANT’s engine capabilities, you will leverage your understanding of game engine development and the software development lifecycle. You will work with the VALORANT team, and other experts across Riot, to help VALORANT’s technical underpinnings keep pace with Unreal Engine’s roadmap and our player’s needs. As we grow, you will lead a team of engineers in technical direction, implementation of the product, and professional development. You will report to the Engineering Lead of the Game Technology Group.
- Work with VALORANT’s technical leadership to identify key areas where VALORANT’s engine (built on Unreal) requires enhancement in ways that will benefit VALORANT as well as other customers of the Game Technology Group (e.g. Project L)
- As we grow, lead a team of engineers that is embedded on VALORANT
- Participate in and guide technical design and implementation
- Contribute substantially to the codebase
- Oversee the quality and maintainability of your team’s code
- Mentor less experienced engineers
- Work with cross-disciplinary teams
- 6+ years of game development experience
- Experience with low-level engine development
- Excellent knowledge of common game and software design patterns
- Strong ability to collaborate with teammates across multiple initiatives and disciplines
- Product sense and player empathy in making tech decisions
- Experience shipping Unreal Engine games
- Experience with rendering technology
- Deep knowledge of modern C++ and optimization techniques
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).