Senior Communications Strategist - Esports
Riot Games was founded in 2006 by Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill with the intent to change the way video games are made and supported for players. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Players are the foundation of our community and it’s for them we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience. Riot Games is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA and has 23 offices worldwide.
In 2009, Riot Games released its debut title League of Legends and has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the dramatic growth of Esports. Publishing’s role is to introduce our products to players and form authentic relationships with them through compelling storytelling.
The global communications team members strive to shape our worldwide identity and reputation. We cover everything vital to the brand and work across all teams, sharing the news with millions of players globally who passionately love League, its Champions and our massively popular Esports. We love games and enjoy telling the emotionally resonate stories that come with them.
The Senior Media Relations Strategist, will be responsible for mining content from across all facets of the organization and crafting thoughtful feature-centric pitches. You'll put your communications skills to use and establish relationships across all categories of media that index high with players and with key internal partners. You'll collaborate with press-types to share narratives in an authentic, player-focused way, and because you're a player, too, you know exactly what that means.
You will represent LoL Esports globally and in sync with our regional offices, articulating and sharing our ongoing stream of news and stories with internal and external partners, outside influencers, and publicists. You are the go-to liaison for League Esports global news, developments, and experiences.
You will build relationships within gaming/Esports, sports, and mainstream media, so from guest lists to live events to strategic interview opportunities, you'll know the key people to meet. You will support regional offices, teams, managers, and players and help them as natural ambassadors of this booming sport. As a Senior Strategist, you will be accountable for ensuring communications alignment to the Central Esports strategy, making Esports a world-class global sport and growing the sport by increasing viewership and adding fans.
- Pitch media to produce pieces on League Esports
- Serve as a brand advocate
- Form and handle relationships both internally and externally. Securing positive coverage including both endemic and non-endemic media spaces
- Land positive coverage across a spectrum of earned and owned channels globally and regionally (in partnership with regional offices)
- Lead and enhance the work of agencies and partners working on behalf of Global Esports communications
- Lead Global Communications efforts at all global Esports events including the Mid-Season Invitational, Rift Rivals, World Championship, and All-Star Event
- Execute special media events to announce new business partnerships, special news, Esports activities, and the like across the globe
- Lead merchandising of projects and Esports coverage both internally at Riot Games as well as externally to teams, sponsors, and players
- Set up watertight systems for tracking and distributing clips/coverage
- Help to prep spokespeople for media and other public-facing opportunities
- Anticipate potential negative coverage and serve as an adept crisis communications manager
- A PR powerhouse: You've been working within the PR or the media space for at least five years; ideally your experience—and a network of contacts—comes from the gaming or sports industry, and additional bonus points if it includes international experience and contacts
- An organizer: You effectively maintain roadmaps and business strategies to help your team align with leadership and merchandise achievements and successes.
- A natural connector: You seek to set up and be steadfast partner within the media and elsewhere; you're meticulous about making connections with influencers, and you're building a rep as the best 'first call' for any breaking news
- An event pro: You have a track record of being behind the curtain at live events; you're organized, un-phased by working in chaotic international environments and pumped to shepherd media to live tournaments—from Madison Square Garden in New York City to the Bird’s Nest in Beijing
- A coverage tracker: You're always one step ahead of where Riot and LoL Esports are popping up in the media; you're on top of Esports industry trends and able to suggest creative solutions to join the conversation
- A passionate gamer: You’re familiar with and ideally part of the gaming culture, so you pay attention to the enthusiast press and the latest developments in the industry
- An international executive: You ideally speak a second language and/or have lived in more than one country; you love the global media space and enjoy the exceptional nature of our sport in regions around the world
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).