Staff Data Engineer - World Wide Publishing Technology
Riot Games was founded in 2006 by Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill with the intent to change the way video games are made and supported for players. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Players are the foundation of our community and it’s for them we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience. Riot Games is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA and has 23 offices worldwide.
Riot's Data Engineers build tools to understand and improve the experience of our players worldwide using petabytes of data and state-of-the-art processing technology. Handling the potential these data offer is a tremendous and complex task. As we continue delivering and scaling content to passionate players, our discipline has challenges and opportunities centered on building data products that support our growth.
WWP Technology is the global technology team in Worldwide Publishing. The team owns global Web core & marketing technologies, provides strategic oversight, global prioritization, and collaboration across Riot's central and international publishing teams.
As a Data Engineer III on the WWP Technology team, you bring a unique mix of distributed data processing, data warehousing, and software engineering skills to develop scalable data systems that inform our marketing decisions. You will be responsible for the technical vision, strategy, and implementation for our MarTech platform. You will work with game teams, marketing strategists, data scientists, and central data teams to connect our player data allowing Riot teams to make more informed marketing decisions. You will be a key leader on the WWP Tech team.
- Owner for technical strategy, architecture, and implementation of the WWP MarTech platform
- Design and build tools that provide confidence in our data quality. You will create and oversee mature development processes and systems (i.e. automated tests, staged deployments) to validate our data is always flowing and correctly
- Create and implement scalable data models & schemas that power use cases such as predictive data models, advanced reporting and insights, and supporting our customer needs in user acquisition, WWP publishing, & game marketing teams. You will help identify important questions and then provide services, datasets, and tools that empower them to find the answers
- Help developers select data technologies that provide efficient insights with a high return on investment
- Provide technical leadership and mentor data & software engineers on the WWP Tech team
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or comparable experience
- 6+ years experience in Python, Scala, Java, or similar data processing programming language
- 3+ years experience with Spark, Hadoop, or Databricks
- Experience influencing engineering best practices within your team, including design/code reviews, coding standards, source control management, build processes, and testing
- Experience working collaboratively across multiple teams and customers to accomplish deliverables
- Experience with data analysis, processing, and validation
- Experience with SQL, databases, and data pipelining technologies and ETL frameworks
- Experience implementing data solutions in public cloud technologies including configuration and deployment
- Experiencing as a leader in making technical decisions (for example: served as Technical Lead across multiple teams)
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Experience working with analytics tools such as Google Analytics and Singular MMP
- Experience working with digital media and cross-device data from major networks like Facebook and Google Ads
- Experience with CRM or CDP platforms like Salesforce Marketing Cloud
- Experience with Google Cloud data ecosystem including BigQuery, Dataflow, Cloudrun, and BigTable
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).