Staff Software Engineer, Services - Unpublished Fighting Game
Job Id: 4519
Riot Engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the chance to work in many broader domains. As a Software Engineer, you’ll also dive into projects that focus on team cohesiveness and cross-team goals. You’ll lead without authority and provide other engineers with a clear illustration of extraordinary engineering.
Project L is Riot's League-IP take on a competitive fighting game. As a Staff Software Engineer, you will be responsible for the entire back-end servicing the core gameplay of Project L. This includes defining interactions between client and server that are fundamental to every player’s experience (think: high load, high availability). This also includes ensuring we have monitoring and diagnostic capabilities to help us when things go wrong. You will ensure we have a solid technical foundation so when we get to launch at scale, everything goes smoothly. You will report to the Engineering Manager of Project L’s Core Gameplay team.
- Contribute to the overall technical architecture planning of Project L
- Design, build, and deliver internet scale backend services for a genre-defining game we will deliver globally to millions of people
- Own building end-to-end features from in-game all the way down to the backend service implementation
- Collaborate with central technology and infrastructure teams to consume and contribute to the Riot platform
- Build features to improve server reliability and performance
- Build and support live services for the game
- Work with cloud technologies and services such as AWS
- Mentor more junior engineers on the team
- Collaborate effectively with art, design, and other disciplines within game development
- 6+ years of experience building large scale backend systems or game services
- Experience developing large distributed systems from scratch, including gathering requirements and designing scalable, production-ready architecture
- BS degree or equivalent experience
- Expertise with one or more service programing languages
- Experience working on a global scale online game or consumer product
- Experience with cloud computing and cloud technologies
- Experience Golang, C#, C++
- Experience with build pipelines including Jenkins
- Experience with containerization technologies such as Docker
- Familiarity with online game netcode, particularly fighting games
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.