Manager, Esports - Japan
Job Id: REQ-0004775
Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played video game in the world, over 100 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That's where you come in.
The Esports team is focused on delivering amazing fan experiences through our global events and regional competitions. Our professional and semi-professional competitive tiers in League of Legends, VALORANT and Wild Rift involve thousands of players and hundreds of organizations competing every week.
As our Manager, Esports - Japan you will manage a local functional and product team and partner with global leadership to operationalize our product strategy and vision to meet Riot's ambitious Esports goals for Japan. You will be responsible for providing management, guidance and mentorship, developing new processes and approaches to work as we launch and scale the biggest and most innovative sport products for our fans. You will foster collaboration and uphold financial rigor to ensure we are creating sustainable business practices that support the ecosystems we build. This role reports to the Sr. Director, APAC Esports Territory Lead.
As a Tokyo Rioter, you'll join a smaller team of internationally and culturally diverse professionals that share our obsession with player experience, rejection of convention and maniacal passion for gaming. With teams in Player Support, Community and Marketing, Riot Games Tokyo is dedicated to creating unique player experiences that show Japanese players they aren't lost in translation.
- 5+ years of experience in people management and operational leadership within gaming, sports, or media industries
- Thorough understanding of the gaming, sports, or media markets in Japan
- Effectively allocating resources and tracking financial goals and performance
- Experience driving results through strategy; Operational rigor combined with excellent business acumen, problem-solving, project management, and analytical skills
- Outstanding relationship-building and communication skills and experience working with business stakeholders within a cross-functional matrix environment
- Language: Fluent in Japanese and possess strong English skills
- Availability to travel sporadically
- Bachelor's degree in business or a related field
- Understanding of esports ecosystems
- Experience organizing live events
- MBA or other relevant advanced degrees
- Lead Riot’s Esports operations in Japan driving operational efficiency while delivering value to Esports fans
- Partner with senior Esports leaders to translate product vision to measurable milestones and deliverables, drive results against strategic priorities
- Inform annual planning exercises and utilize local market expertise to identify opportunities/major investments to support Esports product strategy in Japan
- Prioritize the Japan Esports initiatives, identify cross-region and cross-sport synergies, and act as an escalation point to manage issues
- Allocate resources accordingly; Responsible for executing and measuring financial strategy for the Japan Esports
- Manage the tracking of data; Ensure insights are shared across the organization
- Ensure the Japan Esports leagues are economically sustainable and partnerships with teams are strong
- Manage and mentor a high performing team and foster an inclusive environment for all members of the Japan Esports ecosystem.
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.