Staff Software Engineer (Services) - TFT
Job Id: REQ-0007326
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work in a variety of broader domains. As Software Engineers, we work with both new and current technology, creating innovative solutions to overcome high-volume obstacles and to deliver player value.
As a Staff Software Engineer (Services) on Teamfight Tactics, you will work on a multi-disciplinary team with artists, designers and product managers to create and support the many facets of play. You will be responsible for ensuring Teamfight Tactics can sustainably grow as the lead engineer responsible for service architecture and development. You will report to an Engineering Manager on the Teamfight Tactics team.
- Lead a team of engineers to design and build the services required to support Teamfight Tactics
- Work with product leadership to identify opportunities in the game space that will require or benefit from new service development or refinement
- Coordinate work and maintain relationships with partner service teams across the League of Legends and Riot Games ecosystem
- Ensure the team is adhering to engineering excellence which includes: code maintainability, quality, monitoring, operational excellence, and documentation. Provides and champions "definition of done" to their team
- Be on rotational on-call for live product support and operational assessment
- Work with team leadership to develop opportunities for engineers to grow their skills
- Provide meaningful code reviews for other members of the team
- Work collaboratively with non technical customers to accomplish deliverables
- 6+ years of deep hands-on programming experiences building services using Java
- Experience designing architectures for large distributed systems comprising multiple services while maintaining high throughput and scale.
- Experience with maintaining live services coupled with handling emergent and on-call issues
- Experience developing large product features, including gathering requirements, designing scalable, production-ready architecture, breaking down the project into smaller work items, and leading the development across multiple contributors
- Experience as a tech lead or equivalent role, helping grow other engineers and fostering an inclusive team culture
- Experience implementing software engineering best practices within your team, including design reviews, coding standards, code reviews, tools improvements, source control management, build processes, and testing
- Prior game development experience at any level
- Experience with Android/iOS development or building services to support mobile-first apps
- Experience with C / C++
- Understand software performance and influence latency in online games
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about players' experiences, this could be your role!
Riot focuses on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy and other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
- (Los Angeles Only) Base salary range between $178,500.00 - $249,900.00 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.