Illustration Art Lead - Legends of Runeterra
Job Id: REQ-0003033
Established in 2020, the Singapore Studio is Riot’s second international game development studio. Working together with our Hong Kong Studio, Riot has been expanding our footprint in Asia and accelerating our talent growth to develop games that deliver great experiences to our players. Our mission is to “scale Riot’s games to hyper-serve players.”
We partner with our LA headquarters on game development for League of Legends, Teamfight Tactics, and Legends of Runeterra. We’re also building teams for VALORANT and Project L, our take on a fighting game. The Singapore Studio is seeking talented, passionate Rioters with backgrounds in all areas of game development to build games that make it better to be a player.
We’re focused on working together to promote individual autonomy, ownership, collaboration, and inclusivity, so every Rioter can be their best while we boldly pursue games.
That’s where you come in.
As an Illustration Art Lead for the Singapore Legends of Runeterra art team, your craft expertise and leadership will help deliver deep engagement and rich fantasy experiences to our players through compelling and timeless art works.
You’ll continue to build and support a high performing external team, and give them the guidance and context they need in order to deliver amazing illustrations that set industry standards on craft, whilst enriching the storytelling of the product they support. Through a mix of craft training and hands-on leadership, you will level up the team’s craft, mediate and resolve craft disagreements and misalignments, and keep the team motivated towards creating excellent experiences for our players. Using your broad knowledge of the art, craft and technique of illustration, you’ll set clear goals for your team, and make sure the process of delivering those goals is as smooth as possible for both your team and their stakeholders.
You will partner closely with the product teams and other artists, ensuring the Illustration is not only visually appealing, but also compelling and effectively fulfills product and narrative goals, giving clear direction and support to collaborating production teams. You will maintain your own craft skills, inspire creativity and keep a high quality bar with hands on illustrative duties as you deem necessary.
- As an Illustration art lead on the team, you will oversee the quality of the work the team deliver, and set the bar for excellence
- You will build a world class team by sourcing AAA Concept Art talent in China, and develop and grow their concept skills through training and feedback
- You will collaborate with Rioters in Singapore and worldwide, to make sure product goals are fulfilled and working practices are appropriate
- You will set a clear vision, provide consistent feedback, build trust with your team
- Drive the development of Style Guides and Process Guides
- Lead and improve team rituals to support high quality craft and individual growth
- You will accomplish your mission with complete autonomy if the need arises; you're dedicated in finding creative and effective solutions to vigilantly eliminate difficult problems
- Demonstrated ability to create high quality Illustrations with a focus on narrative and storytelling.
- Extreme proficiency in art fundamentals, design principles and color theory
- A clear understanding of, and proven ability to work in the Legends of Runeterra art style
- Proven experience leading/mentoring teams and individuals. Growth minded and motivated towards teaching, enabling, and coaching other Illustrators
- Experience giving thorough direction and delivering timely, clear feedback to other artists on craft
- A strong communicator and able to convey abstract/sophisticated ideas in a concise way, in English or in Chinese
For this role, you’ll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experience of players, this could be the role for you!
- Full relocation support
- Full health insurance for you, your spouse and children
- Open paid time off
- Retirement benefits with company matching
- Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability
- Play Fund so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games
- We will double down on your donations of time and money to non-profits