Staff Software Engineer, Gameplay Technical-Lead - Unpublished R&D Product
Job Id: REQ-0001816
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work in a variety of broader domains. As a Software Engineer, you’ll also dive into projects that focus on team cohesiveness and cross-team objectives. You’ll lead without authority and provide other engineers with a clear illustration of extraordinary engineering.
As a Staff Software Engineer on Research & Development working on an early stage product, you are armed with a wealth of knowledge in full stack game technologies, a curiosity and open mind for learning and knowledge work, and the flexibility to support rapid explorations during prototype. You will use a strong sense of pragmatism and your previous game development knowledge to focus limited mindshare on the most valuable learning and discovery opportunities in order to chart the path out of prototype. You will work in a small team alongside a product lead, designers and artists to answer fundamental questions and eventually build experiences that will fulfill our players’ impossible dreams. You will report to the Engineering Director of the R&D team.
- Brainstorm, design and implement prototypes to find answers to product, development and technical questions.
- Write prototype code across a variety of technologies with a focus on accumulating insights that can be applied in future development stages.
- Support product and discipline leads to identify focus areas, handoff points, and provide the best solution to empower them to iterate and learn quickly in the development phase.
- Partner closely with the Engineering Lead to cultivate and model an environment of learning, exploration and psychological safety for all disciplines, empowered by technology.
- Set the technical direction and standards for the team during prototype, focused on rapid learnings, leading and contributing to technical design and implementation during prototype.
- Build relationships with and leverage the experience of technical leaders inside of Riot to design and lead technical direction and implementation of scalable and performant solutions as development advances into pre-production.
- Mentor other engineers on the team in all aspects of game development.
- 8+ years of full stack game development experience with depth in client, server and gameplay
- 2+ years experience as team Technical Lead, or as subject matter expert in a specific engineering domain across multiple teams
- Experience developing, shipping and operating games
- Experience developing gameplay mechanics and systems in close collaboration with design and art disciplines
- Experience partnering with teammates across multiple disciplines in a daily work capacity
- BS in Computer Science, or proven understanding of Computer Science fundamentals
- Experience using modern game engines (ex. Unity, Unreal Engine)
- Experience leading full stack engineering with broad expertise
- Experience building pipelines with close collaboration with art, design and production
- Experience working on games in the concept and prototyping phase or other environments focused on discovery and knowledge work in a lead capacity
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.