Manager, Narrative Editing - Creative Department, IP Guidelines
Job Id: REQ-0003217
As an Editorial Manager, your expertise with the written word and your stellar people-management skills will help you bring our internal style and product guides to new levels of excellence. You'll make sure work is well-written, error-free, and conforms to our in-house style, while elevating that style with your experience and insight. You'll manage and mentor a group of writers and editors, fostering growth in both their craft and soft skills, and set the craft bar on the team.
The IP Guidelines team helps Riot develop its intellectual property by enshrining its characters and environments in style and product guides. We're responsible for creating the style guides used across all of our IP expressions--games, comics, stories, animations, merchandise, and more. We're a team of creatives who believe in the power of consistent, believable worldbuilding to support incredible storytelling, and we love building bridges between all the teams telling those stories at Riot.
- Work with writers, editors, producers, stakeholders and product owners to create high impact and educational internal resource materials that achieve the goals of each type of guide.
- Work with the team's Art Director to establish breadth of content and general scope of style guides
- Manage multiple reports within the narrative team.
- Advocate for IP consistency across teams, and establishes a culture of sharing documentation and knowledge across creative communities within Riot.
- Embody Riot’s cultural values in interpersonal interactions and the production of narrative content
- Proactively assess the needs of IP management within Riot, and, where needed, contribute writing and worldbuilding expertise outside of the team.
- 5+ years of professional industry experience in games or related entertainment media
- 1+ Years experience managing other writers and editing their work.
- Edited published content in at least two different media
- Experience working in agile team environments, and giving, clear, and applicable feedback
- Experience working in a major IPA and an understanding of editorial processes, from planning to publication
- Familiarity with the League of Legends IP, and Riot’s portfolio of games.
- Experience within a development process comparable to League of Legends champions, Legends of Runeterra card game sets, or other interactive storytelling
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and choices that focus on your fellow Rioters, who are the customers of your work. Being a dedicated fan of games is not necessary for this position!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.