Senior Director, Head of Global Games Communications
Job Id: REQ-0003394
The Riot Communications Discipline includes experts in community relations, media relations, internal communication, and beyond. In partnership with product, regional, and esports publishing teams, Comms helps players and other essential audiences better understand Riot, how we work, and the motivations behind our choices. As a group we love storytelling and finding the perfect channels to tell those stories.
As Senior Director, Head of Global Games Communications, reporting to the SVP & Head of Global Corporate Affairs, you will operate directly embedded within Riot's Games pillar, with accountability to the Ops Leader and President of Games. You will oversee the executive communications, public relations, and internal communications for Riot's Games business as it continues to expand into new titles around the world. You will play a leadership role in developing the press and internal narrative around Riot's games portfolio, R&D plans, and player platforms, managing internal communications for the Games pillar and leading executive communications for the President of Games and their leadership team. Internally, you will work with a broad group of partners including Riot's global marketing, community, entertainment, IP management, regional, corporate communications, and central internal communications teams to ensure that all pillar-specific plans are aligned with Riot's overall goals. Most importantly, as part of Riot's global corporate affairs leadership team, you will help set the gold standard for communications in our industry. You will enhance our team's craft, establish what good looks like, manage performance, and inspire the team to achieve great player-focused results.
- Lead Riot's Games communications team, which includes executive communications, public relations, and internal communications
- Craft Riot's global games communications narrative - our player-facing vision and the stories that we tell to strengthen fan/industry belief in that vision
- Set clear goals and measurements for the global games communications team in relation to Riot's desired outcomes
- Work with the Riot Games executive management team and senior leaders across the pillar to develop programs that support our global Games goals (inclusive of product beats, event beats, and standalone comms beats)
- Drive press plans globally, partnering with Riot's regional teams to develop a cohesive communications roadmap
- Work with important partners across other divisions of Riot Games
- Build recognition for Riot Games as a global, multi-title powerhouse; promote our value proposition and build relationships with endemic games media, broader mainstream consumer press outlets, industry analysts, and internal Rioter audiences to increase their understanding of Riot's portfolio and approach to development
- Stay informed of the competition and global games marketplace
- Create stories and promote media coverage for all games and R&D projects
- Lead team in establishing thought leadership platforms for the President of Games, Head of R&D, and Executive Producers
- Lead teams in scripting and preparing senior Games executives for speaking engagements and media opportunities
- Manage agency partners to help us achieve the global narrative
- Partner with the Games Marketing and Community teams to ensure media plans are aligned with and support broader marketing campaigns
- Partner with the Corporate Communications team on building the Games Pillar employer brand, showcasing Riot's Games Studios and R&D Office as employers of choice in the gaming industry
- Work with senior regional leaders to ensure Riot has communications support worldwide
- Manage allocation of agency and in-house resources for U.S.-based teams
- Provide team leadership and mentorship that enables junior members to grow and inspires/encourages entrepreneurialism and new ideas
- Bachelor's degree in a related field or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- 12+ years of communications and publicity experience in the games industry
- 8+ years of team management experience
- Knowledge of the games ecosystem and important members
- Experience drafting communications and counseling senior/C-suite executives on both external and internal-facing messages
- Experience building global campaigns and creating press opportunities for a variety of products
- Established relationships with games media, mainstream consumer press, hybrid press/influencers, and games studio counterparts
- Experience serving well-established fan audiences while inviting in new fans
- Experience developing others
- Comprehensive knowledge of the games business and familiarity with the technology and entertainment space
- Experience working with or at a major game publisher or on a major video game IP
- Experience with or knowledge of international media
- Experience working across departments, resolving roadblocks and building high levels of trust among team members and partners
- Well versed in writing, with deep experience communicating the unique voices of individual executives and brands
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.