Principal Software Engineer, Gameplay - Path Of Champions - Legends of Runeterra
Job Id: REQ-0002533
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the chance to work in multiple broad domains. As a Principal Software Engineer on Legends of Runeterra’s Path of Champions team, you’ll help lead the way on new modes (PVE and otherwise) and drive live R&D that will shape the future of the game. You’ll build creative and fresh solutions that empower artists, engineers, and designers to iterate quickly, discover new play experiences, and then ship them at quality. You’ll operate as the technical lead for a dynamic cross-disciplinary team that values velocity, flexibility, and executional excellence.
On this team, you will be:
- Player-Focused: You have strong player empathy, and you want to find solutions that make players excited to experience our game.
- A Collaborator: You want to work elbow-to-elbow with members of other disciplines (Game Design, Art, Audio, QA) to build a whole experience. You are excited to see problems from a different point of view, and make hard tradeoffs to meet multiple goals. You resist siloing yourself, seek input & feedback, and ask a lot of questions.
- Obsessed with Improvement: Inefficiency bothers you and you work to create well-oiled machines whenever you can.
- Adaptable: You understand and are comfortable with switching gears between optimization, break/fix, and development and understand the need for rapid re-prioritization.
- 8+ collective years professional experience across the following areas (or equivalent), including work with interdisciplinary teams at scale:
- Unity Development
- Gameplay Systems Development
- Full Stack Game Development
- Ability to collaborate with leadership to break down problems and lead delivery of solutions to complex multi-month technical challenges. This includes collaboration with other disciplines or teams of engineers.
- Experience working with internal or external customers to identify, document, analyze, implement, and test software requirements.
- Experience providing technical leadership to a team of engineers. This includes building, adopting, and implementing technical processes within a team.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 5+ years experience with scripting languages (python, bash, ruby, Node.js, etc.)
- 5+ years experience with compiled object oriented languages (C++, Java, C#, etc.)
- Proficiency with Agile/Scrum and understanding of its value to work processes
- Strong understanding of Git or similar source control systems
- Experience working with non-engineering disciplines (Art, Design, Audio, UI/UX, etc.)
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).