Principal Software Engineer (Services) - League of Legends, Merchant Guild
Job Id: REQ-0002017
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the opportunity to work in a variety of broader domains. As a Principal Software Engineer, you’ll work alongside other engineers to implement technical solutions at a company-wide scale. You’ll collaborate with teams to ensure high quality and stack applicability, and provide other engineers with a clear illustration of extraordinary engineering.
As a Principal Software Engineer for the League of Legends Merchant Guild team, you will lead the technical vision, strategy, and execution of the team that builds massively scalable systems which power League's content acquisition channels such as League Store, Hextech Crafting, and Event Missions & Passes. With the focus on creating delightful experiences, you will lead the engineering of innovative solutions that enable millions of League players to discover, acquire, and use personalized content including Skins and Emotes. Our teams are multi-disciplinary, so you will work directly with peers in Production, Design, Quality Assurance, Strategic Advisory, Player Support, and others.
- Provide technical leadership towards both new feature development and existing systems, emphasizing operational excellence
- Collaborate with engineering leaders on League and Riot to surface systemic technical problems and identify creative & sustainable solutions
- Mentor the craft development of other technical leaders and senior engineers on the team
- Promote and oversee adherence to engineering excellence including code maintainability, quality, monitoring, and documentation, aligning to League and Riot technical standards
- Ensure sustainable, modern development practices are incorporated throughout the development lifecycle
- 8+ years of experience in Software Engineering, with deep practical knowledge in distributed systems development in Java
- Bachelor's, Master's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or relevant professional experience
- Experience as a technical lead, implementing software engineering best practices
- Experience developing distributed systems, including gathering requirements, designing, and leading the development across multiple contributors
- Experience operating live services at global distribution and scale
- Experience with content development pipelines and content management systems
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in gaming
It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).